Bones and Nephrologists
Steroid related Osteoporosis , Mary Leonard , MD
Take Home Points
1. Steroid induced osteoporosis is 2nd most common cause of osteoporosis
2. Steroids uncouple bone formation and reabsorption
3. They increase osteoclast apoptosis
4. Besides other known risk factors, kidney associated risk factors are microalbuminuria and proteinuria, medications like CNI.
5. Vitamin D is albumin bound and in nephritic syndrome, there is Vitamin D loss. Usually in NS, the 250H levels are low, this is temporary as pth levels don’t really rise as much based on studies compared to true Vitamin D deficiency.
6. FRAX program online is a good tool to assess risk for fractures. Age, gender, BMI, prior fracture, smoking and other factors are all entertained.
7. Recent ACR 2010 guidelines say that Steroid induced osteoporosis can be divided into three categories based on FRAX scores, <10% low risk, 10-20% is mod risk and rest high risk.
8. Bisphosphanates work best for steroid induced osteoporosis. Data on Forteo is new and can be better than bisphosphanates.
- ► 2023 (20)
- ► 2022 (18)
- ► 2021 (36)
- ► 2020 (32)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- ► 2011 (370)
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Propofol Infusion Syndrome
- Sirolimus - The negative aspects
- Nephsap review: Fluids Electrolytes
- CLINICAL CASE 29, ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- ASN 2010 - Live update: "Onco Nephrology"
- Video: The Treatment of Resistant Nephrotic Syndro...
- ASN 2010 Live Update - Late Breaking Trials
- Dialysis Access Atlas from Fistula First. Check it...
- Access Educational Tool
- ASN 2010 Live Update- Nephrology Education
- ASN 2010 Live Update - hyponatremia
- ASN 2010 Live Update - Transplantation in the Elderly
- ASN 2010 Live Update- KDIGO guidelines for HTN
- ASN Live Update 2010: Drugs in Osteoporosis and CKD
- ASN Live Update 2010; CKD -BMD or Osteoporosis
- ASN Live Update 2010: Osteoporosis, steroid induce...
- ASN Live Update 2010; Is fibrosis harmful? in the ...
- ASN Live Update 2010: Glomerular Damage leading to...
- ASN Live Update 2010: VEGF and Diabetic Nephropathy
- ASN Live Update 2010: VEGF and the podocyte
- ASN Live Update 2010: Cirrhosis and the Kidney
- ASN Live updates from nephrology on demand
- ASN Live Update 2010:when do to combined liver-kid...
- Diet and CKD - Historical Interest
- The Kidney Transplant in HIV patients- the NEJM study
- ASN 2010 Live Update - Careers in nephrology
- What Dialysis Modality you would want? Survey
- Presentations from the Prevention in Renal Disease...
- Medicine for residents: urinalysis in rhabdomyolysis
- CKD videos from The Visual MD
- IN THE NEWS- DENSE DEPOSIT DISEASE AND MGUS?
- New Website
- JOURNAL CLUB: FGF 23 and UREMIC parathyroid glands
- Medicine for residents: Hyperkalemia with beta blo...
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Risk Factors of Contrast Induced N...
- The Tips to Keep Your Kidney Healthy- Old Folk Son...
- IN THE NEWS--> DIALYSIS PROPUBLICA ARTICLE
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: "Onco" Nephrology
- Medicine for residents: Chlorthalidone.......what ...
- 5 Major Effects of High Blood Pressure - 3D Medica...
- History of Nephrology: Hepatitis outbreaks run thr...
- IN THE NEWS- ANTI FACTOR H antibodies and TMA
- Tubulointerstitial Nephritis
- CONSULT ROUNDS: UREMIC LUNG
- CLINICAL CASE 28, ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- Quiz 8 answers
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Secondary Oxalate Nephropathy
- Nephrogenic Systemic Fibrosis-An Evolving Disease ...
- Top Transplant Programs "by volume" in 2009, check...
- Nephsap review: AKI and ICU Nephrology
- ▼ November (51)