Uremic lung? is a truly forgotten entity.
A study in 1960s showed that the chest X-ray in a group of patients on ESRD were characterized by pulmonary blood stasis, interstitial edema of the lung and edematous alveoli. The pathogenesis of uremic lung was said to be related to blood urea nitrogen and creatinine retention and the concurrent presence of left side heart failure may also play a role. Hemodialysis and other comprehensive treatments could help the patients with uremic lung for relief the symptoms.
Most people believed that the entity of uremic lung was all " fluid related" and would go away once we did fluid removal and all the lung changes were related to increased effective blood volume.
It might not be the entire story.
Apparently recent mice studies have shown that in the setting of AKI, lung vascular permeability is increased, there is dysregulated cytokines and increased IL-6 production that might lead to the entity of uremic lung. When IL-6 was blocked, the effects disappeared.
This is a real entity and dialysis is then indicated. You have to rule out cardiogenic and other causes of pulmonary edema ofcourse
- ► 2022 (18)
- ► 2021 (36)
- ► 2020 (32)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- ► 2011 (370)
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Propofol Infusion Syndrome
- Sirolimus - The negative aspects
- Nephsap review: Fluids Electrolytes
- CLINICAL CASE 29, ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- ASN 2010 - Live update: "Onco Nephrology"
- Video: The Treatment of Resistant Nephrotic Syndro...
- ASN 2010 Live Update - Late Breaking Trials
- Dialysis Access Atlas from Fistula First. Check it...
- Access Educational Tool
- ASN 2010 Live Update- Nephrology Education
- ASN 2010 Live Update - hyponatremia
- ASN 2010 Live Update - Transplantation in the Elderly
- ASN 2010 Live Update- KDIGO guidelines for HTN
- ASN Live Update 2010: Drugs in Osteoporosis and CKD
- ASN Live Update 2010; CKD -BMD or Osteoporosis
- ASN Live Update 2010: Osteoporosis, steroid induce...
- ASN Live Update 2010; Is fibrosis harmful? in the ...
- ASN Live Update 2010: Glomerular Damage leading to...
- ASN Live Update 2010: VEGF and Diabetic Nephropathy
- ASN Live Update 2010: VEGF and the podocyte
- ASN Live Update 2010: Cirrhosis and the Kidney
- ASN Live updates from nephrology on demand
- ASN Live Update 2010:when do to combined liver-kid...
- Diet and CKD - Historical Interest
- The Kidney Transplant in HIV patients- the NEJM study
- ASN 2010 Live Update - Careers in nephrology
- What Dialysis Modality you would want? Survey
- Presentations from the Prevention in Renal Disease...
- Medicine for residents: urinalysis in rhabdomyolysis
- CKD videos from The Visual MD
- IN THE NEWS- DENSE DEPOSIT DISEASE AND MGUS?
- New Website
- JOURNAL CLUB: FGF 23 and UREMIC parathyroid glands
- Medicine for residents: Hyperkalemia with beta blo...
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Risk Factors of Contrast Induced N...
- The Tips to Keep Your Kidney Healthy- Old Folk Son...
- IN THE NEWS--> DIALYSIS PROPUBLICA ARTICLE
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: "Onco" Nephrology
- Medicine for residents: Chlorthalidone.......what ...
- 5 Major Effects of High Blood Pressure - 3D Medica...
- History of Nephrology: Hepatitis outbreaks run thr...
- IN THE NEWS- ANTI FACTOR H antibodies and TMA
- Tubulointerstitial Nephritis
- CONSULT ROUNDS: UREMIC LUNG
- CLINICAL CASE 28, ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- Quiz 8 answers
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Secondary Oxalate Nephropathy
- Nephrogenic Systemic Fibrosis-An Evolving Disease ...
- Top Transplant Programs "by volume" in 2009, check...
- Nephsap review: AKI and ICU Nephrology
- ▼ November (51)