Ju-Yeh yang et al published this study at JASN; titled
"Trends in Acute Nonvariceal Upper Gastrointestinal
Bleeding in Dialysis Patients".
in this study the authors shed some light on why Hemodialysis patients have higher recurrence and 30-day mortality of acute Non-varecial upper Gi bleeding. it's an interesting approach from an epidemiologic point of view where they site Lenient and stringent definitions, and other ways of looking at outpatient management of GI bleed and including those to the total tally. however; they offer some added risk factors that Hemodialysis patients are especially exposed to which may explain the high recurrent and mortality of upper GI bleed that they face. these include; "
Advanced age, male sex, and certain medications (such as
antiplatelet or anticoagulant agents".
of note; they mention that some of the reported increased in GI Bleed in these patients may be due to vigilant coding of these occurrence Because of the added financial incentive of reporting GI bleed under the new billing system.
for the full text go to JASN . http://jasn.asnjournals.org/content/early/2012/01/18/ASN.2011070658.full.pdf+html]
- ► 2020 (20)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: The BAMBI tale of the Kidney
- IMMUNOSUPPRESSION IN THE ELDERLY: WHATS THE BEST I...
- CLINICAL CASE 50: Answers and Summary
- HISTORY LESSON: Story Behind Central Pontine Myeli...
- New drug labels for kidney disease patients -- wha...
- Are dialysis patients at an increased risk of GI b...
- IN THE NEWS: LUNAR TRIAL
- FDA Approves Glucarpidase to Reduce Toxic Levels o...
- IN THE NEWS: Soluble FLT-1 and ANCA... Not just pr...
- ANAGRAMS: Secondary causes of ANCA disease
- eAJKD PODCAST: APOL1 and the Kidney
- Nephrology Crosswords: Interventional Nephrology
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Atypical ANCA and it's significa...
- eAJKD: Anemia story
- eAJKD: Interest in Nephrology declining
- IN THE NEWS: Face Transplantation
- Detective Nephron: Next venture
- eAJKD: Hypertension, hypokalemia and MPGN
- CLINICAL CASE 49: Answers and Discussion
- IN THE NEWS: Which glomerular disease is highest r...
- Consult Rounds: Renal disease in Retroperitoneal F...
- Kidney Transplantation Induction Quiz Answers
- ▼ January (23)
- ► 2011 (370)
- ► 2010 (461)