Kidney Transplantation was rare in HIV+ cases few years ago and now many centers have developed protocols that have allowed this to happen with relatively good outcomes.
No prospective studies were ever done in this matter for rejection rates, outcome measures and so forth,
This month in NEJM 2010, a nice multi center study takes a look at this particular question. The investigators evaluated 150 patients for close to 2 years, multicenter fashion, non randomized prospective fashion.
The mean graft survival was 90% at one year and 3 years was 73.7%. The ones that didn't do well were the ones with rejection episodes, use of thymoglobulin, and non living donors. The rejection rate was higher than expected, close to 31% at 1 year and 41% in 3 years.
This study shows that graft survival is good but the rejection rates are high still and needs some work. Perhaps the drug interaction with HAART therapy play a role in the fluctuation of perhaps CNI levels and higher rejection risk or the immunosuppresive agents we have now are not the ideal ones for an immunodeficiency diseases model?
- ► 2022 (15)
- ► 2021 (36)
- ► 2020 (32)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- ► 2011 (370)
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Propofol Infusion Syndrome
- Sirolimus - The negative aspects
- Nephsap review: Fluids Electrolytes
- CLINICAL CASE 29, ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- ASN 2010 - Live update: "Onco Nephrology"
- Video: The Treatment of Resistant Nephrotic Syndro...
- ASN 2010 Live Update - Late Breaking Trials
- Dialysis Access Atlas from Fistula First. Check it...
- Access Educational Tool
- ASN 2010 Live Update- Nephrology Education
- ASN 2010 Live Update - hyponatremia
- ASN 2010 Live Update - Transplantation in the Elderly
- ASN 2010 Live Update- KDIGO guidelines for HTN
- ASN Live Update 2010: Drugs in Osteoporosis and CKD
- ASN Live Update 2010; CKD -BMD or Osteoporosis
- ASN Live Update 2010: Osteoporosis, steroid induce...
- ASN Live Update 2010; Is fibrosis harmful? in the ...
- ASN Live Update 2010: Glomerular Damage leading to...
- ASN Live Update 2010: VEGF and Diabetic Nephropathy
- ASN Live Update 2010: VEGF and the podocyte
- ASN Live Update 2010: Cirrhosis and the Kidney
- ASN Live updates from nephrology on demand
- ASN Live Update 2010:when do to combined liver-kid...
- Diet and CKD - Historical Interest
- The Kidney Transplant in HIV patients- the NEJM study
- ASN 2010 Live Update - Careers in nephrology
- What Dialysis Modality you would want? Survey
- Presentations from the Prevention in Renal Disease...
- Medicine for residents: urinalysis in rhabdomyolysis
- CKD videos from The Visual MD
- IN THE NEWS- DENSE DEPOSIT DISEASE AND MGUS?
- New Website
- JOURNAL CLUB: FGF 23 and UREMIC parathyroid glands
- Medicine for residents: Hyperkalemia with beta blo...
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Risk Factors of Contrast Induced N...
- The Tips to Keep Your Kidney Healthy- Old Folk Son...
- IN THE NEWS--> DIALYSIS PROPUBLICA ARTICLE
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: "Onco" Nephrology
- Medicine for residents: Chlorthalidone.......what ...
- 5 Major Effects of High Blood Pressure - 3D Medica...
- History of Nephrology: Hepatitis outbreaks run thr...
- IN THE NEWS- ANTI FACTOR H antibodies and TMA
- Tubulointerstitial Nephritis
- CONSULT ROUNDS: UREMIC LUNG
- CLINICAL CASE 28, ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- Quiz 8 answers
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Secondary Oxalate Nephropathy
- Nephrogenic Systemic Fibrosis-An Evolving Disease ...
- Top Transplant Programs "by volume" in 2009, check...
- Nephsap review: AKI and ICU Nephrology
- ▼ November (51)