A recent article in Kidney International shows that in rats who had hereditary hyperbilirubnemia had lower incidence of diabetic nephropathy.
This might be news to some but mild indirect hyperbilirubenemia has been associated with decreased cardio vascular disease, decreased kidney disease and cancer risk as well.
Why is that? It is because bilirubin is an antioxidant. 30% of the world's population has an entity we call Gibert's Syndrome( mild indirect hyperbilirubenemia, its a defect in an enzyme that helps conjugate bilirubin, UGT1A1). Hence, those people should be protected. Few studies have shown this with diabetes.
I think its about time we started studying the benefits of having Gilbert's syndrome in terms of protection against kidney disease. perhaps it was a genetic selection! or the next wave!
Take a look at these interesting references
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- ► 2011 (370)
- Nephsap review: AKI and ICU Nephrology
- Minimal Change Disease
- IN THE NEWS- CALMAG TRIAL
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Management of DKA in hemodialysi...
- Nephrology Fellows do better with online training!...
- IN THE NEWS- Barbershop BP management is better th...
- Outcomes of kidney transplantation from HCV positi...
- IN THE NEWS- Permeability Factor and FSGS
- Salivary Prograf levels
- U 002 Nierentransplantation / kidney transplant
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Green Urine
- FGF-23 and PTH and Bone Disease post transplant
- IN THE NEWS- Bilirubin might be protective
- Aspergilloma in the transplant kidney
- Racial Disparities in CKD, a presentation
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Page Kidney
- Renal Fellow Network: Pancreas transplant pearls
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Different ARBS
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Urinary Diversions
- Wait list and desensitization?
- CLINICAL CASE 27, ANSWERS and SUMMARY
- Sirolimus and Male Fertility
- IN THE NEWS:- Tiger on Dialysis
- IN THE NEWS:- Cardiorenal syndrome or renocardiac ...
- NEJM Case
- CONSULT ROUNDS: renal disease
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Chronic Hyponatremia
- Quiz 7 Answers
- New Transplant Information website
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Free water excretion
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: SECONDARY VS PRIMARY FSGS
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Maintenance of Metabolic Alkalos...
- REJECTION and TOLERANCE
- KIDNEY WEBSITES IN my languages!
- Renal Fellow Network: Key to angiotensin formation...
- JOURNAL CLUB: AASK TRIAL 2010
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: An uncommon consult:-OHSS!
- IN THE NEWS- Nephrology Workfore
- Basic concepts in Immunology
- Role Playing exercise in Transplant Education
- TOPIC DISCUSSION
- CLINICAL CASE 26 , ANSWER and SUMMARY
- ▼ October (42)