Tuesday, October 5, 2010
Basic concepts in Immunology
Think of Innate immune system as "non antigen presenting mediated". it can get activated without antigen presentation. Cells that are major players: NK cell and Macrophage
Adaptive immune system is " antigen presentation mediated". Needs that extra help.
Cells that play role here:- B cells, T cells, DC
Think of the immune system as : Effector system and Regulatory system
Effector systems play a role in causing inflammation and damage and " doing their job" best!!! CD4+T, CD8+T cells, NK cells, B effector cells are all major players
Regulators are the "policemen". They are the Tregs and Bregs. They are out there trying to shut out fires and inflammation and try to "tone down" the reaction. Having more police around makes for a more robust and more "Controlled" immune system
The adaptive immune response has two arms
Afferent arm:-Antigen presentation
Efferent arm:- T cell activation
Two types of destruction:- cell mediated via Cd4 and Cd8 cells- granzyme and perforin and killing the cell
or antibody mediated via B cell-- leading to complement activation killing
- ► 2019 (37)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- ► 2011 (370)
- Nephsap review: AKI and ICU Nephrology
- Minimal Change Disease
- IN THE NEWS- CALMAG TRIAL
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Management of DKA in hemodialysi...
- Nephrology Fellows do better with online training!...
- IN THE NEWS- Barbershop BP management is better th...
- Outcomes of kidney transplantation from HCV positi...
- IN THE NEWS- Permeability Factor and FSGS
- Salivary Prograf levels
- U 002 Nierentransplantation / kidney transplant
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Green Urine
- FGF-23 and PTH and Bone Disease post transplant
- IN THE NEWS- Bilirubin might be protective
- Aspergilloma in the transplant kidney
- Racial Disparities in CKD, a presentation
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Page Kidney
- Renal Fellow Network: Pancreas transplant pearls
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Different ARBS
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Urinary Diversions
- Wait list and desensitization?
- CLINICAL CASE 27, ANSWERS and SUMMARY
- Sirolimus and Male Fertility
- IN THE NEWS:- Tiger on Dialysis
- IN THE NEWS:- Cardiorenal syndrome or renocardiac ...
- NEJM Case
- CONSULT ROUNDS: renal disease
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Chronic Hyponatremia
- Quiz 7 Answers
- New Transplant Information website
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Free water excretion
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: SECONDARY VS PRIMARY FSGS
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Maintenance of Metabolic Alkalos...
- REJECTION and TOLERANCE
- KIDNEY WEBSITES IN my languages!
- Renal Fellow Network: Key to angiotensin formation...
- JOURNAL CLUB: AASK TRIAL 2010
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: An uncommon consult:-OHSS!
- IN THE NEWS- Nephrology Workfore
- Basic concepts in Immunology
- Role Playing exercise in Transplant Education
- TOPIC DISCUSSION
- CLINICAL CASE 26 , ANSWER and SUMMARY
- ▼ October (42)