A fascinating study in Archives of Internal Medicine shows that barbershop based HTN outreach programs controlled HTN better in black men then MD office visits. The investigators evaluated continuous HTN monitoring and referral program conducted by barbers in motivating patients with HTN to pursue physician care. It was called the BARBER-1 Trial. So the two groups were either receiving just a pamphlet for HTN control by the barber or a BP check and suggested physician follow up. The follow up was for 10 months and goal was HTN Control rate. The intervention arm(2nd arm) did much better and absolute difference of 2.5mm HG in the SBP.
People are very loyal to their barbers and they like to see the same barber for many years. This long lasting relationship can lead to good benefits for their health and in this study, it did show that. The blood pressure was lower in the first arm as well but the second arm did even better.
So just having a lot of the health conversations in a non MD office setting might be a better target as well.
Further studies on programs like these should be performed. This is fascinating!!
Also check out a nice review by nephronline
- ► 2023 (20)
- ► 2022 (18)
- ► 2021 (36)
- ► 2020 (32)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- ► 2011 (370)
- Nephsap review: AKI and ICU Nephrology
- Minimal Change Disease
- IN THE NEWS- CALMAG TRIAL
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Management of DKA in hemodialysi...
- Nephrology Fellows do better with online training!
- IN THE NEWS- Barbershop BP management is better th...
- Outcomes of kidney transplantation from HCV positi...
- IN THE NEWS- Permeability Factor and FSGS
- Salivary Prograf levels
- U 002 Nierentransplantation / kidney transplant
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Green Urine
- FGF-23 and PTH and Bone Disease post transplant
- IN THE NEWS- Bilirubin might be protective
- Aspergilloma in the transplant kidney
- Racial Disparities in CKD, a presentation
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Page Kidney
- Renal Fellow Network: Pancreas transplant pearls
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Different ARBS
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Urinary Diversions
- Wait list and desensitization?
- CLINICAL CASE 27, ANSWERS and SUMMARY
- Sirolimus and Male Fertility
- IN THE NEWS:- Tiger on Dialysis
- IN THE NEWS:- Cardiorenal syndrome or renocardiac ...
- NEJM Case
- CONSULT ROUNDS: renal disease
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Chronic Hyponatremia
- Quiz 7 Answers
- New Transplant Information website
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Free water excretion
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: SECONDARY VS PRIMARY FSGS
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Maintenance of Metabolic Alkalosis
- REJECTION and TOLERANCE
- KIDNEY WEBSITES IN my languages!
- Renal Fellow Network: Key to angiotensin formation...
- JOURNAL CLUB: AASK TRIAL 2010
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: An uncommon consult:-OHSS!
- IN THE NEWS- Nephrology Workfore
- Basic concepts in Immunology
- Role Playing exercise in Transplant Education
- TOPIC DISCUSSION
- CLINICAL CASE 26 , ANSWER and SUMMARY
- ▼ October (42)