It is always important to make sure that K disorders such as hyper and hypokalemia are not due to cell shifts and Pseudo in nature. Cell shifts usually lead to more of hyperkalemia than hypokalemia. 2% shift in intracellular K to the ECF will result in serum K level of 8meq/L.
What causes Hyperkalemia due to cell shifting
Here is a comprehensive list that is worth looking for ( check out the recent AJKD listed below)
1. Insulin deficiency
3. Beta Blockade
5. Alpha stimulation
8. Tumor Lysis
9. Periodic Paralysis
12. Rebound after insulin infusion
- December (2)
- November (8)
- October (14)
- September (12)
- August (13)
- July (11)
- June (10)
- May (10)
- April (10)
- March (13)
- February (9)
- January (14)
- December (15)
- November (18)
- October (10)
- September (15)
- August (18)
- July (15)
- June (9)
- May (20)
- April (17)
- March (21)
- February (20)
- January (23)
- December (25)
- November (36)
- October (24)
- September (28)
- August (24)
- July (28)
- June (31)
- May (26)
- April (39)
- March (49)
- February (25)
- January (35)
- December (21)
- November (51)
- October (42)
- September (62)
- Educational Video
- CMV infection in Kidney Transplantation
- The Online Transplant Center: CMV infection in Kid...
- Early Dialysis
- Polycystic Kidney Disease
- IN THE NEWS: LIVER induced erythropoietin producti...
- JOURNAL CLUB: RITUXIVAS Trial
- Interferon Gamma use in fungal infections in trans...
- DIURETICS PRESENTATION
- IN THE NEWS- Hyperkalemia review
- Quiz 4 Answers
- The Kidney is not silent
- CLINICAL CASE 24, ANSWERS and SUMMARY
- The Online Transplant Center
- Post Transplant Lymphoproliferative Disorder (PTLD...
- B cell and long term graft function
- Renal Fellow Network: Hot peppers for hypertension...
- CONSULT ROUNDS: LOW POTASSIUM STORY!
- IN THE NEWS: MIDODRINE
- CONSULT ROUNDS: ANCA negative Pauci-Immune Cresent...
- Transplantatation of two kidneys in marginal donor...
- The Micro RNA blog
- History of Nephrology: A nice image of The father ...
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Resp Alkalosis
- BKV viral protein-1 mRNA in urinary cells
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Plasma Pheresis and Renal Diseas...
- IN THE NEWS: DETECTIVE NEPHRON's NEXT VENTURE
- CLINICAL CASE 23 , ANSWER and SUMMARY
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Hyperkalemia due to cell shifts?...
- Educational Link on nephrology
- CLINICAL CASE 22, ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- Medical Innovation
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Management of BEER POTAMANIA
- The Online Transplant Center: Low Donor Kidney Wei...
- Low Donor Kidney Weight ? Does it matter?
- Renal Biopsy simulation
- Reno vascular Hypertension View more presentation...
- Post transplant TMA, revisiting Atypical HUS
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: 25-OH Vitamin D and ESRD
- IN THE NEWS:- MAYO CLINIC AND SOCIAL MEDIA
- July (48)
- June (36)
- May (48)
- April (33)
- March (37)
- February (25)
- January (18)