A recent article in AJT reports the use of Interferon Gamma as a salvage and additional therapy for disseminated fungal infections in kidney transplant recipients.
We always get concerned with giving interferons to transplant recipients as it will increase and promote an immune response and pose a risk of rejection.
In the above cases, not only did the patients survived but the graft was not effect in 4/7 cases as well with no consequences of rejection. Why interferon gamma? It is the most important cytokine in communication of T cells to fight fungal and mycobacterial infections.
The idea is novel yet scary. More data and more cases are needed till we think of possibly using this in large clinical settings. Clearly, the concern of activating more crosstalk among T helper cells by using Interferon Gamma is helpful in fighting infection but might have to be the right balance to prevent rejection.
- ► 2020 (21)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- ► 2011 (370)
- Educational Video
- CMV infection in Kidney Transplantation
- The Online Transplant Center: CMV infection in Kid...
- Early Dialysis
- Polycystic Kidney Disease
- IN THE NEWS: LIVER induced erythropoietin production
- JOURNAL CLUB: RITUXIVAS Trial
- Interferon Gamma use in fungal infections in trans...
- DIURETICS PRESENTATION
- IN THE NEWS- Hyperkalemia review
- Quiz 4 Answers
- The Kidney is not silent
- CLINICAL CASE 24, ANSWERS and SUMMARY
- The Online Transplant Center
- Post Transplant Lymphoproliferative Disorder (PTLD...
- B cell and long term graft function
- Renal Fellow Network: Hot peppers for hypertension?
- CONSULT ROUNDS: LOW POTASSIUM STORY!
- IN THE NEWS: MIDODRINE
- CONSULT ROUNDS: ANCA negative Pauci-Immune Cresent...
- Transplantatation of two kidneys in marginal donors
- The Micro RNA blog
- History of Nephrology: A nice image of The father ...
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Resp Alkalosis
- BKV viral protein-1 mRNA in urinary cells
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Plasma Pheresis and Renal Disease
- IN THE NEWS: DETECTIVE NEPHRON's NEXT VENTURE
- CLINICAL CASE 23 , ANSWER and SUMMARY
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Hyperkalemia due to cell shifts?
- Educational Link on nephrology
- CLINICAL CASE 22, ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- Medical Innovation
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Management of BEER POTAMANIA
- The Online Transplant Center: Low Donor Kidney Wei...
- Low Donor Kidney Weight ? Does it matter?
- Renal Biopsy simulation
- Reno vascular Hypertension View more presentation...
- Post transplant TMA, revisiting Atypical HUS
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: 25-OH Vitamin D and ESRD
- IN THE NEWS:- MAYO CLINIC AND SOCIAL MEDIA
- ▼ August (40)