We have asked this question many times in conferences and especially when a pediatric kidney gets put in an adult recipient? Does it matter if the donor kidney weight is not compatible to the recipient's weight?
There is one study in 2005 that showed that low donor kidney weight to recipient weight ratio did not affect graft survival. That study only had 2.5 year follow up.
A recent study in JASN looked at >1000 patients for over 10 years and max of 7 year follow up. They found that with a low donor kidney to recipient kidney ratio of <2.3g/kg, initially the GFR increased, plateaued at 6 months but then decreased rapidly after 7 years at a mean rate of 3 ml/min.
With patients with >2.3g/kg, the the GFR after 7 years decreased at a much slower rate- 1.34ml/min.
The proteinuria was also higher in the low ratio group.FSGS was more common in the biopsies of the low ratio group.This is a retrospective analysis with its usual flaws but raises an important point of avoiding kidney and recipient weight incompatibility to avoid late clinical outcomes.
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- ► 2011 (370)
- Educational Video
- CMV infection in Kidney Transplantation
- The Online Transplant Center: CMV infection in Kid...
- Early Dialysis
- Polycystic Kidney Disease
- IN THE NEWS: LIVER induced erythropoietin producti...
- JOURNAL CLUB: RITUXIVAS Trial
- Interferon Gamma use in fungal infections in trans...
- DIURETICS PRESENTATION
- IN THE NEWS- Hyperkalemia review
- Quiz 4 Answers
- The Kidney is not silent
- CLINICAL CASE 24, ANSWERS and SUMMARY
- The Online Transplant Center
- Post Transplant Lymphoproliferative Disorder (PTLD...
- B cell and long term graft function
- Renal Fellow Network: Hot peppers for hypertension...
- CONSULT ROUNDS: LOW POTASSIUM STORY!
- IN THE NEWS: MIDODRINE
- CONSULT ROUNDS: ANCA negative Pauci-Immune Cresent...
- Transplantatation of two kidneys in marginal donor...
- The Micro RNA blog
- History of Nephrology: A nice image of The father ...
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Resp Alkalosis
- BKV viral protein-1 mRNA in urinary cells
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Plasma Pheresis and Renal Diseas...
- IN THE NEWS: DETECTIVE NEPHRON's NEXT VENTURE
- CLINICAL CASE 23 , ANSWER and SUMMARY
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Hyperkalemia due to cell shifts?...
- Educational Link on nephrology
- CLINICAL CASE 22, ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- Medical Innovation
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Management of BEER POTAMANIA
- The Online Transplant Center: Low Donor Kidney Wei...
- Low Donor Kidney Weight ? Does it matter?
- Renal Biopsy simulation
- Reno vascular Hypertension View more presentation...
- Post transplant TMA, revisiting Atypical HUS
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: 25-OH Vitamin D and ESRD
- IN THE NEWS:- MAYO CLINIC AND SOCIAL MEDIA
- ▼ August (40)