What is the most common cause of Denovo Thrombotic Microangiopathy post renal transplant?
Calcineurin inhibitor toxicity 5 (55%)
Antibody mediated rejection 3 (33%)
MPGN 0 (0%)
Malignancy 0 (0%)
Infections 1 (11%)
Denovo TMA post transplant is defined as happening in the early post transplant period.( 6 months). All of the above can cause de novo TMA in post transplant patients. The most common cause as most of you got it is CNI toxicity. Although, Antibody mediated rejection closely follows it and should always be considered. Another cause not listed here is ischemic repefusion injury as well leading to a TMA.
A recent study in AJT August 2010 showed in a retrospective fashion that TMA can be very strongly associated with C4D positive Biopsies showing ABMR as well. 14% with CD4 positive patients had TMA compared to only 3% with C4D negative biopsies. Treatment changes - Plasmapheresis might help in this case as you will remove the donor specific antibodies and also help the process of TMA treatment.
Regardless in any case of TMA, treat the underlying cause if found! CNI induced TMA doesn't NEED to be treated with plasmapheresis
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- ► 2011 (370)
- Educational Video
- CMV infection in Kidney Transplantation
- The Online Transplant Center: CMV infection in Kid...
- Early Dialysis
- Polycystic Kidney Disease
- IN THE NEWS: LIVER induced erythropoietin producti...
- JOURNAL CLUB: RITUXIVAS Trial
- Interferon Gamma use in fungal infections in trans...
- DIURETICS PRESENTATION
- IN THE NEWS- Hyperkalemia review
- Quiz 4 Answers
- The Kidney is not silent
- CLINICAL CASE 24, ANSWERS and SUMMARY
- The Online Transplant Center
- Post Transplant Lymphoproliferative Disorder (PTLD...
- B cell and long term graft function
- Renal Fellow Network: Hot peppers for hypertension...
- CONSULT ROUNDS: LOW POTASSIUM STORY!
- IN THE NEWS: MIDODRINE
- CONSULT ROUNDS: ANCA negative Pauci-Immune Cresent...
- Transplantatation of two kidneys in marginal donor...
- The Micro RNA blog
- History of Nephrology: A nice image of The father ...
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Resp Alkalosis
- BKV viral protein-1 mRNA in urinary cells
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Plasma Pheresis and Renal Diseas...
- IN THE NEWS: DETECTIVE NEPHRON's NEXT VENTURE
- CLINICAL CASE 23 , ANSWER and SUMMARY
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Hyperkalemia due to cell shifts?...
- Educational Link on nephrology
- CLINICAL CASE 22, ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- Medical Innovation
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Management of BEER POTAMANIA
- The Online Transplant Center: Low Donor Kidney Wei...
- Low Donor Kidney Weight ? Does it matter?
- Renal Biopsy simulation
- Reno vascular Hypertension View more presentation...
- Post transplant TMA, revisiting Atypical HUS
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: 25-OH Vitamin D and ESRD
- IN THE NEWS:- MAYO CLINIC AND SOCIAL MEDIA
- ▼ August (40)