Wednesday, August 4, 2010
CONSULT ROUNDS: Management of BEER POTAMANIA
A nice algorithm is listed below; from an AJKD review recently on this topic:
Usually NPO in the first 24 hours
No IVFs unless symptomatic( VERY IMPORTANT), as they might correct very fast with just Normal Saline as you are increasing their solute load.
Keep checking Na every 2-3 hours
Correct rapid to 1-2meq in one hour if symptomatic else <<< 10 Meq/L in first 24 hours( may not need to do anything, usually self correct)
Relower serum sodium levels if necessary
Give all IV medications and nutrition via D5W only given their rapid correction rate
Low threshold to image the Brain.
Source: AJKD Beer potamania article
Posted by Kenar D Jhaveri( kidney 007) at 9:51 PM
Labels: Consult Rounds, electrolytes
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
- ► 2022 (18)
- ► 2021 (36)
- ► 2020 (32)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- ► 2011 (370)
- Educational Video
- CMV infection in Kidney Transplantation
- The Online Transplant Center: CMV infection in Kid...
- Early Dialysis
- Polycystic Kidney Disease
- IN THE NEWS: LIVER induced erythropoietin production
- JOURNAL CLUB: RITUXIVAS Trial
- Interferon Gamma use in fungal infections in trans...
- DIURETICS PRESENTATION
- IN THE NEWS- Hyperkalemia review
- Quiz 4 Answers
- The Kidney is not silent
- CLINICAL CASE 24, ANSWERS and SUMMARY
- The Online Transplant Center
- Post Transplant Lymphoproliferative Disorder (PTLD...
- B cell and long term graft function
- Renal Fellow Network: Hot peppers for hypertension?
- CONSULT ROUNDS: LOW POTASSIUM STORY!
- IN THE NEWS: MIDODRINE
- CONSULT ROUNDS: ANCA negative Pauci-Immune Cresent...
- Transplantatation of two kidneys in marginal donors
- The Micro RNA blog
- History of Nephrology: A nice image of The father ...
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Resp Alkalosis
- BKV viral protein-1 mRNA in urinary cells
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Plasma Pheresis and Renal Disease
- IN THE NEWS: DETECTIVE NEPHRON's NEXT VENTURE
- CLINICAL CASE 23 , ANSWER and SUMMARY
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Hyperkalemia due to cell shifts?
- Educational Link on nephrology
- CLINICAL CASE 22, ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- Medical Innovation
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Management of BEER POTAMANIA
- The Online Transplant Center: Low Donor Kidney Wei...
- Low Donor Kidney Weight ? Does it matter?
- Renal Biopsy simulation
- Reno vascular Hypertension View more presentation...
- Post transplant TMA, revisiting Atypical HUS
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: 25-OH Vitamin D and ESRD
- IN THE NEWS:- MAYO CLINIC AND SOCIAL MEDIA
- ▼ August (40)
Post a Comment