We discussed the recent NEJM trial called RITUXIVAS
( Linked below)
Take home points
1. Randomized controlled double blinded trial that was comparing IV Cytoxan induction arm to IV Rituximab + low dose IV cytoxan arm and follow up for up to 12 months.
2. It was a random assignment via a 3:1 ratio ( rituximab to cytoxan)
3. everyone got steroids
4. Primary end points were sustained remission
5. Result: A rituximab-based regimen was not superior to standard intravenous cyclophosphamide for severe ANCA-associated vasculitis. Sustained-remission rates were high in both groups, and the rituximab-based regimen was not associated with reductions in early severe adverse events.
1.First study to compare SEVERE anca vasculitis in a randomized fashion that involves Rituximab
2. Patients included elderly as well which is where the choice of treatment becomes an issue.
1. Sample size
2. The Rituximab arm was sicker( more patients on dialysis)
3. The Rituximab arm received cytoxan as well ( unclear why they chose to do this, perhaps ethical reasons)
4. Net immunosuppresion was likely higher in the Rituximab arm ( dialysis , likely had TPE, and also cytoxan) making more infectious risks.
5. Data on IV cytoxan itself is poor in ANCA vasculitis.
6. Didn't really answer the question if Rituximab alone is good enough when compared to Cytoxan, and less toxic
- ► 2017 (48)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- ► 2011 (370)
- Educational Video
- CMV infection in Kidney Transplantation
- The Online Transplant Center: CMV infection in Kid...
- Early Dialysis
- Polycystic Kidney Disease
- IN THE NEWS: LIVER induced erythropoietin producti...
- JOURNAL CLUB: RITUXIVAS Trial
- Interferon Gamma use in fungal infections in trans...
- DIURETICS PRESENTATION
- IN THE NEWS- Hyperkalemia review
- Quiz 4 Answers
- The Kidney is not silent
- CLINICAL CASE 24, ANSWERS and SUMMARY
- The Online Transplant Center
- Post Transplant Lymphoproliferative Disorder (PTLD...
- B cell and long term graft function
- Renal Fellow Network: Hot peppers for hypertension...
- CONSULT ROUNDS: LOW POTASSIUM STORY!
- IN THE NEWS: MIDODRINE
- CONSULT ROUNDS: ANCA negative Pauci-Immune Cresent...
- Transplantatation of two kidneys in marginal donor...
- The Micro RNA blog
- History of Nephrology: A nice image of The father ...
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Resp Alkalosis
- BKV viral protein-1 mRNA in urinary cells
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Plasma Pheresis and Renal Diseas...
- IN THE NEWS: DETECTIVE NEPHRON's NEXT VENTURE
- CLINICAL CASE 23 , ANSWER and SUMMARY
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Hyperkalemia due to cell shifts?...
- Educational Link on nephrology
- CLINICAL CASE 22, ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- Medical Innovation
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Management of BEER POTAMANIA
- The Online Transplant Center: Low Donor Kidney Wei...
- Low Donor Kidney Weight ? Does it matter?
- Renal Biopsy simulation
- Reno vascular Hypertension View more presentation...
- Post transplant TMA, revisiting Atypical HUS
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: 25-OH Vitamin D and ESRD
- IN THE NEWS:- MAYO CLINIC AND SOCIAL MEDIA
- ▼ August (40)