The mineralocorticoid receptor antagonists have been forgetten the world of ACEI and ARBCS in past decade. Sometimes, when used for hypertension, have done wonders in many pateints and they come of significant number of drugs. What is the role of aldosterone in CKD and can the antagnosits retard CKD?
Aldosterone has a potential role in progression of CKD via vasoconstriction, oxidative stress, inflammmation, alteration of filtration barrier and perhaps direct glomerulosclerosis based on some initialy proposed mechanisms. There is some lab data in certain kidney diseases like diabetic nephropathy, cyclosporine nephrotoxicity, proteinuric nephropathies and esrd even that these antagonists might be of some benefit.
There is growing interest in studing combination of RAAS blockade agents and above agents but concern always is hyperkalemia and that has prevented large trials. More careful studies need to be done and clinical trials to show effect of these old, cheap but powerful agents that might just work.
Tuesday, May 31, 2011
TOPIC DISCUSSION: The return of "Spironolactone"
Posted by Kenar D Jhaveri( kidney 007) at 9:31 AM
Labels: CKD and ESRD, Hypertension, spironolactone, topic discussions
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
- ► 2022 (18)
- ► 2021 (36)
- ► 2020 (32)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: The return of "Spironolactone"
- Match the drugs with the toxicity game!
- CLINICAL CASE and ANSWERS 38
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Clinical Pearls for electrolytes!
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Origins of the 1.73m2 in the GFR...
- Prolia or Xgeva, Denosumab and The Renal world!
- Alemtuzumab for Induction- the 2011 update
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Hibernating Bear's urine?
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Ethylene Glycol Toxicity
- Asian Dialysis Modality Survey by Pediatric Nephro...
- Check out this website
- Tumor Lysis Syndrome
- Medicine for residents: Elevated pulse pressure an...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Micro Rnas and Chronic Kidney Di...
- Nephrology Crosswords- Pediatric Nephrology
- NKF 2011 Recap- Rhabdomyolysis as the theme
- Donor Risk Scores?
- CLINICAL CASE 37, ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- "Brain Drain" in nephrology
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: The Distal Hypoperfusion Ischemi...
- Nephrology Fellow Career Choice Satisfaction Survey
- Dual Live Transplants performed
- Interesting Urine Lytes
- NKF 2011 Live: First Clinical Guidelines on Acute ...
- CLINICAL CASE 36, ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- IN THE NEWS- Hyponatremia and Mortality( its the u...
- ▼ May (26)
- ► 2010 (461)
Post a Comment