This is a summery of one of the talks at The NKF meeting ; MEdscape nephrology conducted an interview with Dr. Kellum who co-chaired the KDIGO initiative.
Go to the link above for the full interview: here are some points of the talk
RIFLE and AKIN should be used by frontline practitioners to diagnose AKI, and this should serve to increase awareness about the prevention, recognition, and management of acute kidney injury.
Up to 33% of ICU patients and as many as 20% of all hospitalized patients develop acute kidney injury. even mild injury, resulting in small changes in renal function acutely, can have significant short-term and long-term consequences.
Replacement fluid should be crystolloids and colloids(avoid albumin, hetastarch and alike).
CIN prophylaxis: Normal saline or bicarbonate are both of equally effective with no preference.
Citracate bath and US-guided catheter insertion were strongly recommended. this maybe controversial the committee admitted.
More in the full interview.
Ezra Hazzan MD
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: The return of "Spironolactone"
- Match the drugs with the toxicity game!
- CLINICAL CASE and ANSWERS 38
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Clinical Pearls for electrolytes...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Origins of the 1.73m2 in the GFR...
- Prolia or Xgeva, Denosumab and The Renal world!
- Alemtuzumab for Induction- the 2011 update
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Hibernating Bear's urine?
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Ethylene Glycol Toxicity
- Asian Dialysis Modality Survey by Pediatric Nephro...
- Check out this website
- Tumor Lysis Syndrome
- Medicine for residents: Elevated pulse pressure an...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Micro Rnas and Chronic Kidney Di...
- Nephrology Crosswords- Pediatric Nephrology
- NKF 2011 Recap- Rhabdomyolysis as the theme
- Donor Risk Scores?
- CLINICAL CASE 37, ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- "Brain Drain" in nephrology
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: The Distal Hypoperfusion Ischemi...
- Nephrology Fellow Career Choice Satisfaction Surve...
- Dual Live Transplants performed
- Interesting Urine Lytes
- NKF 2011 Live: First Clinical Guidelines on Acute ...
- CLINICAL CASE 36, ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- IN THE NEWS- Hyponatremia and Mortality( its the u...
- ▼ May (26)
- ► 2010 (461)