A recent NEJM May 2011 article has one article that compares use of Alemtuzumab and early steroid removal to Basiliximab and Thymo. Its a nicely done randomized controlled trial that is multi centered.
On face value:- appears that rate of biopsy confirmed acute rejection was lower in the alemtuzumab group in the low risk patients when compared to basiliximab and similar to thymo when compared in high risk groups.
Few points from the trial:
1. All were steroid sparing making things not standard around all programs
2. The infection events were statistically more higher in the Alemtuzumab group especially in the low risk population
3. WBC count was also <3000 in the treatment arm
4. Cancer, renal injury other complications were similar
5. Rate of late rejection (after 12 months) was higher in both low and high risk groups compared to standard treatment
6. If steroids were withdrawn, and infections were more in the alemtuzumab group, wonder what the rate of infection would have been with steroids!
Till further studies, looking ahead. Awaiting to see what the transplant community thinks
Friday, May 20, 2011
Alemtuzumab for Induction- the 2011 update
Posted by Kenar D Jhaveri( kidney 007) at 2:16 PM
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
- ► 2022 (18)
- ► 2021 (36)
- ► 2020 (32)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: The return of "Spironolactone"
- Match the drugs with the toxicity game!
- CLINICAL CASE and ANSWERS 38
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Clinical Pearls for electrolytes!
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Origins of the 1.73m2 in the GFR...
- Prolia or Xgeva, Denosumab and The Renal world!
- Alemtuzumab for Induction- the 2011 update
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Hibernating Bear's urine?
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Ethylene Glycol Toxicity
- Asian Dialysis Modality Survey by Pediatric Nephro...
- Check out this website
- Tumor Lysis Syndrome
- Medicine for residents: Elevated pulse pressure an...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Micro Rnas and Chronic Kidney Di...
- Nephrology Crosswords- Pediatric Nephrology
- NKF 2011 Recap- Rhabdomyolysis as the theme
- Donor Risk Scores?
- CLINICAL CASE 37, ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- "Brain Drain" in nephrology
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: The Distal Hypoperfusion Ischemi...
- Nephrology Fellow Career Choice Satisfaction Survey
- Dual Live Transplants performed
- Interesting Urine Lytes
- NKF 2011 Live: First Clinical Guidelines on Acute ...
- CLINICAL CASE 36, ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- IN THE NEWS- Hyponatremia and Mortality( its the u...
- ▼ May (26)
- ► 2010 (461)
Post a Comment