We associated BUN always with renal disease. What about other causes?
Why does BUN rise in GI Bleed?
Extensive bleeding into the gastrointestinal (GI) tract will also cause an elevated BUN because digested blood is a source of urea. For example, a hemorrhage of one liter of blood into the GI tract may elevate the BUN up to 40mg/ml. Other non renal causes are: Acute myocardial infarction,Stress and excessive protein intake,steroid use or protein catabolism.
A decreased BUN may be seen in: Liver failure,Malnutrition, pregnancy, impaired nutrient absorption and SIADH
Because urea is synthesized by the liver, severe liver failure causes a reduction of urea in the blood. Just as dehydration may cause an elevated BUN, overhydration causes a decreased BUN. And finally water excess in SIADH can lead to decreased BUN.
- ► 2019 (33)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- Pregnancy in Chronic Kidney Disease
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Cetuximab therapy and wasting synd...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: LEAD and the KIDNEY
- Vitamin D- NEJM Review 2011
- IN THE NEWS- TPA vs Heparin- NEJM Study
- Kidney Disease: Racial Disparities from the Inside...
- Dabigatran, and what about its use in Nephrology a...
- The Transplant Web
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Blood Urea Nitrogen ( BUN)
- Diabetic Nephropathy Video on You tube
- 2011 Guest Lecture Series (Part 1 of 2): Gerald A...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Thiazides and Hyponatremia
- IN THE NEWS--> Storytelling and Hypertension
- Fibrosis with Inflammation at One Year Predicts Tr...
- NSLIJ - Innate B Cell in Humans that Protects Agai...
- IN THE NEWS-->AngII and Metabolic Syndrome
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Magnesium for pre eclampsia?
- IN THE NEWS:- THE BOLDE Study
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Paraneoplastic Glomerulopathy
- Informing the Debate: Rates of Kidney Transplantat...
- History of Nephrology: The Korean War 1950-3
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Cryoglobulin Classification Made...
- CLINICAL CASE 31, ANSWER and SUMMARY
- Quiz 9 Answers
- HISTORY LESSON- Scribner Shunt
- IN THE NEWS --> Cytoresistance and the kidney
- PD University = HD university
- Medicine for residents: urinary calcium and renal ...
- Life After Renal Fellowship Survey Results
- Bisphosphonate Therapy in CKD and ESRD patients
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Amyloidosis vs Light Chain Deposit...
- The Study of Heart and Renal Protection — SHARP Tr...
- Can Alcohol Consumption be protective post transpl...
- DID YOU KNOW? Extra renal Podocyte like systems?
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Low or negative Anion gap!
- ▼ January (35)
- ► 2010 (461)