A recent study in Kidney International, in mice, showed that Angiotensin II might be playing a role in adipose tissue as well and perhaps making things worse for the metabolic syndrome. We know that Angiotensin precurosor leads to Ang II production and that can lead to HTN and aldosterone secretion and Water and NA retention in the kidney. In the Blood vessels, it leads to atherosclerosis and vasoconstriction.
Fat cell hypertrophy is associated with increased secretion of angiotensin precursors and inflammatory cytokines. Adipose tissue expresses all components of the RAS system and can generate local Ang II which in turns upregulates AT1 ( a receptor) for lipogenesis and downregulates AT2 ( a receptor) for lipolysis.
This will lead to increased fat mass and more obesity. Not to add that AngII can increase insulin resistance and impair insulin signaling.
No human data yet but interesting study.
- ► 2019 (28)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- Pregnancy in Chronic Kidney Disease
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Cetuximab therapy and wasting synd...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: LEAD and the KIDNEY
- Vitamin D- NEJM Review 2011
- IN THE NEWS- TPA vs Heparin- NEJM Study
- Kidney Disease: Racial Disparities from the Inside...
- Dabigatran, and what about its use in Nephrology a...
- The Transplant Web
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Blood Urea Nitrogen ( BUN)
- Diabetic Nephropathy Video on You tube
- 2011 Guest Lecture Series (Part 1 of 2): Gerald A...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Thiazides and Hyponatremia
- IN THE NEWS--> Storytelling and Hypertension
- Fibrosis with Inflammation at One Year Predicts Tr...
- NSLIJ - Innate B Cell in Humans that Protects Agai...
- IN THE NEWS-->AngII and Metabolic Syndrome
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Magnesium for pre eclampsia?
- IN THE NEWS:- THE BOLDE Study
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Paraneoplastic Glomerulopathy
- Informing the Debate: Rates of Kidney Transplantat...
- History of Nephrology: The Korean War 1950-3
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Cryoglobulin Classification Made...
- CLINICAL CASE 31, ANSWER and SUMMARY
- Quiz 9 Answers
- HISTORY LESSON- Scribner Shunt
- IN THE NEWS --> Cytoresistance and the kidney
- PD University = HD university
- Medicine for residents: urinary calcium and renal ...
- Life After Renal Fellowship Survey Results
- Bisphosphonate Therapy in CKD and ESRD patients
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Amyloidosis vs Light Chain Deposit...
- The Study of Heart and Renal Protection — SHARP Tr...
- Can Alcohol Consumption be protective post transpl...
- DID YOU KNOW? Extra renal Podocyte like systems?
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Low or negative Anion gap!
- ▼ January (35)
- ► 2010 (461)