The latest AJT report introduces us to a new line of drugs for treatment of Hepatitis C. The two drugs that are closest to coming to the market are in Phase 3 trials are will be submitted to FDA soon. They are telaprevir and boceprevir. Protease inhibitors have been discussed in treating hepatitis C for years now and this brings it to the forefront.
Allowing to treat patients prior to liver transplantation might be the most benefit as the interactions post transplants with immunosuppresive medications is always a challenge. We see that in HIV patients who get kidney transplants.
The article summarizes that the future of treating primary Hep C infection or recurrence in the liver graft is going to be a cocktail of medications that will include standard medications like interferon and ribavarin but also protease inhibitors. Recurrence of Hep c in the transplanted liver is a commonly encountered problem and this might hopefully help in the near future.
Treatment of Hep C might tag behind how HIV is being treated.
- ► 2021 (36)
- ► 2020 (32)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- ► 2011 (370)
- CLINICAL CASE 5
- Luminex Technology
- IN THE NEWS ---> CLASSIFICATION FOR DIABETIC NEPH...
- Nephrectomy or No Nephrectomy?
- CONSULT ROUNDS: ORTHOSTATIC PROTEINURIA
- TOPIC DISCUSSION Risk factors for bleeding post ki...
- New drugs for Hepatitis C
- CDC HIGH RISK DONORS
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Peritoneal Dialysis First initia...
- CLINICAL CASE 4
- Adrenal Gland Transplantation
- IN THE NEWS --->Is BMT Nephropathy really mostly ...
- Sad News
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Tamm Horsfall Mucoprotein
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Re-evaluating the Role of Immuno...
- JOURNAL CLUB: DNA Methylation controls Foxp3 gene ...
- In the News: The era of epigenetics
- Sirolimus and tubular toxicity
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: FIBROTIC DISEASES
- IN THE NEWS --> IgA with ANCAs
- JOURNAL CLUB: Pirfenidone Is Renoprotective in Dia...
- IN THE NEWS- CKD and Proteinuria
- CLINICAL CASE 3
- Positive Cross Match, Desensitization
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Post Bone Marrow Transplant Thromb...
- ▼ February (25)