The recent issue of AJT Feb 2010 describes a case report of human intramuscular adrenal gland transplantation.
Intramuscular endocrine gland transplantations have been described and we do have cases of that in the renal world of parathyroid glands being retransplanted in the muscles forearms to help continue some function on ESRD patients. Adrenal transplantation is less common. This case describes a story of a young girl who had adrenal insufficiency and had renal failure and received a renal and adrenal transplantation from her mother.
This is the first case of a successful adrenal transplant for adrenal insufficiency.
Chronic medical treatment for adrenal insufficiency includes steroids and treatment for the transplant also includes steroids, the risk and benefits have to be weighed eventually.
At this point, the authors recommend that adrenal gland allotransplantation is only indicated in patients who already are maintained on immunosuppression for either concomitant or prior solid organ transplants.
- ► 2019 (28)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- ► 2011 (370)
- CLINICAL CASE 5
- Luminex Technology
- IN THE NEWS ---> CLASSIFICATION FOR DIABETIC NEPH...
- Nephrectomy or No Nephrectomy?
- CONSULT ROUNDS: ORTHOSTATIC PROTEINURIA
- TOPIC DISCUSSION Risk factors for bleeding post ki...
- New drugs for Hepatitis C
- CDC HIGH RISK DONORS
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Peritoneal Dialysis First initia...
- CLINICAL CASE 4
- Adrenal Gland Transplantation
- IN THE NEWS --->Is BMT Nephropathy really mostly ...
- Sad News
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Tamm Horsfall Mucoprotein
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Re-evaluating the Role of Immuno...
- JOURNAL CLUB: DNA Methylation controls Foxp3 gene ...
- In the News: The era of epigenetics
- Sirolimus and tubular toxicity
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: FIBROTIC DISEASES
- IN THE NEWS --> IgA with ANCAs
- JOURNAL CLUB: Pirfenidone Is Renoprotective in Dia...
- IN THE NEWS- CKD and Proteinuria
- CLINICAL CASE 3
- Positive Cross Match, Desensitization
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Post Bone Marrow Transplant Thromb...
- ▼ February (25)