What is a CDC high risk donor? A recent article in AJT Feb 2010 issue talked about a study that wanted to see how centers of disease control high risk (CDCHR) status of organ donors affects the recipients and if the organs are being used appropriately. An observational study showed that after 2 years, the median survival of those kidneys was no different then non CDCHR kidneys. Labeling these kidneys as CDCHR or high risk resulted in wastage of 41 kidneys per year.
What constitutes CDC criteria for high risk:- a donor who falls under one of the categories:- IV drug user, hemophiliac, prostitution history, high risk sexual activity, exposure to HIV and jail sentencing. If this information is known, that organ is considered CDC high risk and post transplant care also includes regular checking of hepatitis and HIV viral loads every few months.
Something to ponder on!
- ► 2021 (28)
- ► 2020 (32)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- ► 2011 (370)
- CLINICAL CASE 5
- Luminex Technology
- IN THE NEWS ---> CLASSIFICATION FOR DIABETIC NEPH...
- Nephrectomy or No Nephrectomy?
- CONSULT ROUNDS: ORTHOSTATIC PROTEINURIA
- TOPIC DISCUSSION Risk factors for bleeding post ki...
- New drugs for Hepatitis C
- CDC HIGH RISK DONORS
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Peritoneal Dialysis First initia...
- CLINICAL CASE 4
- Adrenal Gland Transplantation
- IN THE NEWS --->Is BMT Nephropathy really mostly ...
- Sad News
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Tamm Horsfall Mucoprotein
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Re-evaluating the Role of Immuno...
- JOURNAL CLUB: DNA Methylation controls Foxp3 gene ...
- In the News: The era of epigenetics
- Sirolimus and tubular toxicity
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: FIBROTIC DISEASES
- IN THE NEWS --> IgA with ANCAs
- JOURNAL CLUB: Pirfenidone Is Renoprotective in Dia...
- IN THE NEWS- CKD and Proteinuria
- CLINICAL CASE 3
- Positive Cross Match, Desensitization
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Post Bone Marrow Transplant Thromb...
- ▼ February (25)