A recent study in JASN Feb 2010 issue, a study reports that patients who have failed allografts and who return to dialysis and undergo allograft nephrectomy have improved survival as compared to patients that have retained the allografts. This is going to spring a lot of debate in Transplantation field as it was always thought that if you take out the allograft, you have more chances of making antibodies and you will have a higher risk of rejection.
The authors in this argue that being on low dose immunsuppresion along with dialysis might be more of an infectious and cardiovascular risk and hence worse outcomes.
Its a good paper and a good study to challenge the current notion. But do we take this to practice yet?
Probably not yet, this is retrospective, only medicare patients and a more methodological study needs to be done.
This is going to bring in a lot of debate. Looking forward to see what happens next
Thursday, February 25, 2010
Nephrectomy or No Nephrectomy?
Posted by Kenar D Jhaveri( kidney 007) at 7:40 PM
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
- ► 2022 (18)
- ► 2021 (36)
- ► 2020 (32)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- ► 2011 (370)
- CLINICAL CASE 5
- Luminex Technology
- IN THE NEWS ---> CLASSIFICATION FOR DIABETIC NEPH...
- Nephrectomy or No Nephrectomy?
- CONSULT ROUNDS: ORTHOSTATIC PROTEINURIA
- TOPIC DISCUSSION Risk factors for bleeding post ki...
- New drugs for Hepatitis C
- CDC HIGH RISK DONORS
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Peritoneal Dialysis First initia...
- CLINICAL CASE 4
- Adrenal Gland Transplantation
- IN THE NEWS --->Is BMT Nephropathy really mostly ...
- Sad News
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Tamm Horsfall Mucoprotein
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Re-evaluating the Role of Immuno...
- JOURNAL CLUB: DNA Methylation controls Foxp3 gene ...
- In the News: The era of epigenetics
- Sirolimus and tubular toxicity
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: FIBROTIC DISEASES
- IN THE NEWS --> IgA with ANCAs
- JOURNAL CLUB: Pirfenidone Is Renoprotective in Dia...
- IN THE NEWS- CKD and Proteinuria
- CLINICAL CASE 3
- Positive Cross Match, Desensitization
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Post Bone Marrow Transplant Thromb...
- ▼ February (25)
Post a Comment