1. Initial screening should be done in all donors.
2. All donors should have repeat testing with a combination of HIV serologic test and HIV NAT as close to organ donation as feasible but no longer than 7 days preceding organ donation.
3. All donors have to be advised on behaviors that could be putting them at risk for HIV infection.
4. For living donors with high risk: specific counseling might be needed one on one basis.
5. Available testing cannot completely eliminate the risk of transmission and all have to be aware.