A recent article in AJKD June 2011 issue reviews the up and coming bio markers to replace creatinine in renal injury.
Lets summarize what they have to say:
1. In the differential diagnosis of AKI, currently we use FeNa to help distinguish renal vs pre renal and if need be urinalysis and biopsy. Proposal is to eventually use: IL-18, Kim -1, NgAL, NAG
2. In early detection of renal injury, currently we use crt and GFR, would would help is cystatin C and perhaps GST, IL18, KIM-1, NGAL, NAG and L-FABP.
3. In prognosis, we currently use AKIN and RIFLE criteria based on crt. What might help is cystatin C and above ones as well.
So far, I continue to use only and only one marker, Creatinine- the best marker to date for renal disease; and perhaps proteinuria for progression of kidney disease. I have ordered cystatin C sometimes, but never really helped me clinically. So hoping some of these markers or PANEL of markers might be more helpful than what we currently use in renal disease.
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- Creative Writing to Teach Nephrology
- Social Media and Health Care Part 3: From ASN
- Social Media and healthcare Part 2: from ASN
- Social Media and Health Care Part 1: From ASN
- IN the NEWS: Bardoxolone Methyl and CKD
- In the News- Nephrology on the mobile phone
- In The News-Final Blow on anemia agents
- Innate vs Adaptive Immune system
- Negatives of E Learning
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Why 3gm of Proteinuria is consid...
- Cochrane Renal Group
- CLINICAL CASE 38, ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- FDA approves Belatacept (NULOJIX) for use in kidne...
- IN THE NEWS: The ACT trial
- ASN Podcast - World Class Nephrologists
- Human Herpes Virus – 6: An uncommon but potentiall...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: BIOMARKERS
- Concept Map of CAKUT
- Breaking News: FDA issues new dosing limitations f...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Light chains and the Kidney- tra...
- Social Media and Medicine - A lawyers prespective
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Urinary Snapshot of Lupus Nephri...
- Banff 2011 Updates 2
- BanFF 2011 Presentations By Dr.Kim Solez
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: ADH and Pain?
- BANFF 2011 Updates
- IN THE NEWS: Another Detective Nephron Venture
- BANFF 2011
- Touch Calc- Nephrology calculators all in one
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Hemoperfusion vs Hemodialysis fo...
- IN THE NEWS: EXRTIP
- ▼ June (31)
- ► 2010 (461)