A recent article in AJKD June 2011 issue reviews the up and coming bio markers to replace creatinine in renal injury.
Lets summarize what they have to say:
1. In the differential diagnosis of AKI, currently we use FeNa to help distinguish renal vs pre renal and if need be urinalysis and biopsy. Proposal is to eventually use: IL-18, Kim -1, NgAL, NAG
2. In early detection of renal injury, currently we use crt and GFR, would would help is cystatin C and perhaps GST, IL18, KIM-1, NGAL, NAG and L-FABP.
3. In prognosis, we currently use AKIN and RIFLE criteria based on crt. What might help is cystatin C and above ones as well.
So far, I continue to use only and only one marker, Creatinine- the best marker to date for renal disease; and perhaps proteinuria for progression of kidney disease. I have ordered cystatin C sometimes, but never really helped me clinically. So hoping some of these markers or PANEL of markers might be more helpful than what we currently use in renal disease.
Wednesday, June 15, 2011
TOPIC DISCUSSION: BIOMARKERS
Posted by Kenar D Jhaveri( kidney 007) at 2:31 PM
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
- ► 2022 (18)
- ► 2021 (36)
- ► 2020 (32)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- Creative Writing to Teach Nephrology
- Social Media and Health Care Part 3: From ASN
- Social Media and healthcare Part 2: from ASN
- Social Media and Health Care Part 1: From ASN
- IN the NEWS: Bardoxolone Methyl and CKD
- In the News- Nephrology on the mobile phone
- In The News-Final Blow on anemia agents
- Innate vs Adaptive Immune system
- Negatives of E Learning
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Why 3gm of Proteinuria is consid...
- Cochrane Renal Group
- CLINICAL CASE 38, ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- FDA approves Belatacept (NULOJIX) for use in kidne...
- IN THE NEWS: The ACT trial
- ASN Podcast - World Class Nephrologists
- Human Herpes Virus – 6: An uncommon but potentiall...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: BIOMARKERS
- Concept Map of CAKUT
- Breaking News: FDA issues new dosing limitations f...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Light chains and the Kidney- tra...
- Social Media and Medicine - A lawyers prespective
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Urinary Snapshot of Lupus Nephri...
- Banff 2011 Updates 2
- BanFF 2011 Presentations By Dr.Kim Solez
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: ADH and Pain?
- BANFF 2011 Updates
- IN THE NEWS: Another Detective Nephron Venture
- BANFF 2011
- Touch Calc- Nephrology calculators all in one
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Hemoperfusion vs Hemodialysis fo...
- IN THE NEWS: EXRTIP
- ▼ June (31)
- ► 2010 (461)
Post a Comment