A new agent called Bardoxolone( anti oxidant) , also called BARD in the prior literature, was studied in a recent NEJM 2011 paper in close to 200 adults with CKD in a randomized, double blinded placebo controlled phase 2 trial. Doses used were 25, 75 or 150mg. The outcomes were change in GFR at 6 months and 1 year. The results showed that patients who received the agent had statistically more significant GFR increases compared to placebo- all which were maintained at 1 year. The increases were in the magnitude of 9-10ml. Low Mg levels and muscle spasms were side effects noted.
Few years prior, studies had shown that BARD ameliorated ischemic murine AKI as assessed by both renal function and pathology. It is possible that BARD does this by effects on NF-E2-related factor 2 (Nrf2), peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-γ (PPARγ), and heme oxygenase 1 (HO-1). Studies have shown that BARD regulates PPARγ, not by acting as a ligand but by increasing the amount of PPARγ mRNA and protein. Prior results also found that BARD ameliorated cisplatin nephrotoxicity. So it was an inflammation modulator. Following that there was a shorter study in AJ Nephrology listed below that showed benefit with BARD in CKD stage 3b and 4.
- ► 2023 (17)
- ► 2022 (18)
- ► 2021 (36)
- ► 2020 (32)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- Creative Writing to Teach Nephrology
- Social Media and Health Care Part 3: From ASN
- Social Media and healthcare Part 2: from ASN
- Social Media and Health Care Part 1: From ASN
- IN the NEWS: Bardoxolone Methyl and CKD
- In the News- Nephrology on the mobile phone
- In The News-Final Blow on anemia agents
- Innate vs Adaptive Immune system
- Negatives of E Learning
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Why 3gm of Proteinuria is consid...
- Cochrane Renal Group
- CLINICAL CASE 38, ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- FDA approves Belatacept (NULOJIX) for use in kidne...
- IN THE NEWS: The ACT trial
- ASN Podcast - World Class Nephrologists
- Human Herpes Virus – 6: An uncommon but potentiall...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: BIOMARKERS
- Concept Map of CAKUT
- Breaking News: FDA issues new dosing limitations f...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Light chains and the Kidney- tra...
- Social Media and Medicine - A lawyers prespective
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Urinary Snapshot of Lupus Nephri...
- Banff 2011 Updates 2
- BanFF 2011 Presentations By Dr.Kim Solez
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: ADH and Pain?
- BANFF 2011 Updates
- IN THE NEWS: Another Detective Nephron Venture
- BANFF 2011
- Touch Calc- Nephrology calculators all in one
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Hemoperfusion vs Hemodialysis fo...
- IN THE NEWS: EXRTIP
- ▼ June (31)
- ► 2010 (461)