Monday, June 6, 2011
TOPIC DISCUSSION: ADH and Pain?
A single paper in 1977 from UCLA describes the effect of pain on plasma ADH concentrations. They studied patients with pain after surgery and compared to controls. Age, smoking and pain came out factors associated with increase in ADH levels. It was a nice and small study but showed that pain led to ADH increase.
Stress might not be the case, might be pain directly. Some studies have shown that stress itself without pain did not led to increase ADH. Pain has two components:- readily localizable specific sensation that is mediated by the spinothalamic tracts and the second is the arousal of the Reticular formation , ventral thalamus and hypothalamus and perhaps ADH connection might be in this latter portion. Stimulation of the brain stem reticular formation has shown to increase ADH in animals.
When asking few academicians: some responses I got was : Flight and Fight state from an evolutionary standpoint perhaps that wants ADH to be elevated in that state and allow for the beneficial effects.
Also, ADH is produced naturally perhaps in wound healing and in these pain flight and fight situations, leads to such a response.
Interesting , not well defined and studied
- ► 2014 (89)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- Creative Writing to Teach Nephrology
- Social Media and Health Care Part 3: From ASN
- Social Media and healthcare Part 2: from ASN
- Social Media and Health Care Part 1: From ASN
- IN the NEWS: Bardoxolone Methyl and CKD
- In the News- Nephrology on the mobile phone
- In The News-Final Blow on anemia agents
- Innate vs Adaptive Immune system
- Negatives of E Learning
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Why 3gm of Proteinuria is consid...
- Cochrane Renal Group
- CLINICAL CASE 38, ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- FDA approves Belatacept (NULOJIX) for use in kidne...
- IN THE NEWS: The ACT trial
- ASN Podcast - World Class Nephrologists
- Human Herpes Virus – 6: An uncommon but potentiall...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: BIOMARKERS
- Concept Map of CAKUT
- Breaking News: FDA issues new dosing limitations f...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Light chains and the Kidney- tra...
- Social Media and Medicine - A lawyers prespective
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Urinary Snapshot of Lupus Nephri...
- Banff 2011 Updates 2
- BanFF 2011 Presentations By Dr.Kim Solez
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: ADH and Pain?
- BANFF 2011 Updates
- IN THE NEWS: Another Detective Nephron Venture
- BANFF 2011
- Touch Calc- Nephrology calculators all in one
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Hemoperfusion vs Hemodialysis fo...
- IN THE NEWS: EXRTIP
- ▼ June (31)
- ► 2010 (461)