A trial from Sweden was published last year in Transplantation. It was a prospective, double blind, randomized, placebo-controlled multicenter study on the efficacy and safety of rituximab as induction therapy, together with tacrolimus, mycophenolate mofetil, and steroids in kidney transplants. The primary endpoint was defined as acute rejection, graft loss, or death during the first 6 months. They randomized 140 patients and found no difference in rejection episodes, infection episodes. There was a tendency toward fewer and milder rejections during the first 6 months in the rituximab group. A commentary of this also got published in recent May issue of Transplantation.
More trials need to be done with this agent before we think it can be used as an induction agent. Trails of using it as an induction in lupus also have been done in Europe with promising results.
Other areas where it is being used in highly sensitized individuals to desensitize. In cases of historical cross matches that are positive. Rituximab is becoming standard drug to give patients with antibody mediated rejection.
Saturday, June 19, 2010
Rituximab for induction?
Posted by Kenar D Jhaveri( kidney 007) at 7:44 AM
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
- ► 2022 (18)
- ► 2021 (36)
- ► 2020 (32)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- ► 2011 (370)
- IN THE NEWS: Three trials SHOCK the NEPHROLOGY WORLD
- IN THE NEWS:- Angiotensin-receptor blockade and r...
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Hypocomplementemia!
- IN THE NEWS ---> Stem Cells and Kidney Damage
- Answer to Immunology Quiz 2
- Rituximab for induction?
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Phosphorous containing foods
- Panel Reactive Antibody? how do you calculate?
- Topic Discussion: MYH9 Nephropathies
- Pediatrics Grand rounds continue
- CLINICAL CASE 18, ANSWER and SUMMARY
- New blogs of interest
- Topic Discussion: Primary vs Secondary Membranous
- CLINICAL CASE 17, ANSWER AND SUMMARY
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Amylase in the urine?? Hmm!!
- Gurudakshina in Nephrology
- Are you aware of MICA antibodies?
- ISBP Conference Sept 2010
- Innovative Nephrology teaching tools!
- Kamal Shah's Blog: An Indian CKD registry now exists
- CLINICAL CASE 16 , ANSWER and SUMMARY
- IN THE NEWS- Proteinuria and Avastin
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Dialysis Membrane Reactions- Type B
- IN THE NEWS ---> New treatments for cystic disease
- Immunology Quiz 1 Answers
- Rituximab induced lung injury
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: DIABETIC NEPHROPATHY!!
- B cell signature and Tolerance
- Nephrology World on Intragraft gene expression
- Kidney Transplant as an Outpatient Procedure
- IN THE NEWS ---> Detective Nephron strikes again!
- IN THE NEWS --->NephrologyonDemand
- CONSULT ROUNDS: ANURIC RENAL FAILURE
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Hydronephrosis without evidence on...
- Journal Club: B regulatory cells
- CLINICAL CASE 15 , ANSWER and SUMMARY
- ▼ June (36)
Post a Comment