What I learned at the NKF 2010 , some few points.
1. A large NIH sponsored study basically showed that the outcomes of large number of patients when compared to non hiv patients transplanted was no different.
2. The 3 year follow up showed no major difference in graft survival
3. HIV disease didn’t progress either, perhaps because they didn’t get induction therapy or they were carefully selected patients or there is data that almost all immunosuppresive drugs we use has anti HIV viral activity from cellcept to CNI to sirolimus
4. The major problems people run into these transplants are drug toxicities as anti retrovirals have significant effect on CNI levels and high doses of CNI and increased intervals are needed.
5. There is usually more rejection in these patients,perhaps because of point number 5, but also perhaps because they don’t get much induction
6. Some centers are using induction with thymo, but their acute bacterial infection rates are high. Ideally, a anti CD20 induction is a good choice.
A nice website to look at is: hivtransplant.com
- ► 2018 (27)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- ► 2011 (370)
- JOURNAL CLUB: Metabolic Acidosis and improving GFR...
- The Online Transplant Center: Kidney Biopsy in Hea...
- Kidney Biopsy in Heart Transplant Candidates?
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Cellular Senescence and Renal Ag...
- CLINICAL CASE 12
- CLINICAL CASE 11
- IN THE NEWS ---> Vancomycin and the kidney
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Smoking and Kidney Disease
- The Online Transplant Center: Dual Liver and Kidne...
- The Online Transplant Center: HIV and the Kidney T...
- The Online Transplant Center: Obesity and Kidney T...
- Dual Liver and Kidney Transplantations
- HIV and the Kidney Transplant
- Obesity and Kidney Transplantation
- In the News: ASN website for Renal Fellows
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Adolescents and Disease
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Why do AVG and AVF get stenosis?...
- NKF reports
- CONSULT ROUNDS
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Asymptomatic Hyponatremia
- IN THE NEWS- RENAL ANGINA SYNDROME
- CLINICAL CASE 10, ANSWER AND SUMMARY
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: PHOSPHATE BINDERS
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: A rare case of statin induced rh...
- IN THE NEWS: GLOSEN Study
- IN THE NEWS: Dialysis Time
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Albuminuria and Proteinuria
- The Online Transplant Center: Antibody Mediated Re...
- Antibody Mediated Rejection Review
- The Online Transplant Center: Bone marrow transpla...
- Bone marrow transplantation and solid organs
- IN THE NEWS: Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitors and CKD
- IN THE NEWS- MORE NEPHROLOGY CONSULTS
- ▼ April (33)