NEJM issue:It has a nice drug review on Oral Phosphate Binders in patients with kidney diseases.
It highlights the history of binders, cost differences and basic characteristics of types of binders
1. Ca based
2. Sevelamer family
3. Mg Based
5. Aluminium based
What was more fascinating is whats under development.
**Fermagate ( a new mg based binder)
**Colestilan ( non metallic anion exchange resin)
**Niacin and Nicotinamide
What is also interesting is the point that patients with advanced kidney diseases have elevated salivary phosphate concentration. And no matter what they eat, that gets absorbed. A study showed that chewing gum containing a novel chitosan compound was effective in lowering serum phosphate levels and salivary phosphate levels.
A good review for fellows!
Thursday, April 8, 2010
TOPIC DISCUSSION: PHOSPHATE BINDERS
Posted by Kenar D Jhaveri( kidney 007) at 10:45 PM
Labels: CKD and ESRD, General Nephrology, topic discussions
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
- ► 2022 (18)
- ► 2021 (36)
- ► 2020 (32)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- ► 2011 (370)
- JOURNAL CLUB: Metabolic Acidosis and improving GFR
- The Online Transplant Center: Kidney Biopsy in Hea...
- Kidney Biopsy in Heart Transplant Candidates?
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Cellular Senescence and Renal Aging
- CLINICAL CASE 12
- CLINICAL CASE 11
- IN THE NEWS ---> Vancomycin and the kidney
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Smoking and Kidney Disease
- The Online Transplant Center: Dual Liver and Kidne...
- The Online Transplant Center: HIV and the Kidney T...
- The Online Transplant Center: Obesity and Kidney T...
- Dual Liver and Kidney Transplantations
- HIV and the Kidney Transplant
- Obesity and Kidney Transplantation
- In the News: ASN website for Renal Fellows
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Adolescents and Disease
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Why do AVG and AVF get stenosis?
- NKF reports
- CONSULT ROUNDS
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Asymptomatic Hyponatremia
- IN THE NEWS- RENAL ANGINA SYNDROME
- CLINICAL CASE 10, ANSWER AND SUMMARY
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: PHOSPHATE BINDERS
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: A rare case of statin induced rh...
- IN THE NEWS: GLOSEN Study
- IN THE NEWS: Dialysis Time
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Albuminuria and Proteinuria
- The Online Transplant Center: Antibody Mediated Re...
- Antibody Mediated Rejection Review
- The Online Transplant Center: Bone marrow transpla...
- Bone marrow transplantation and solid organs
- IN THE NEWS: Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitors and CKD
- IN THE NEWS- MORE NEPHROLOGY CONSULTS
- ▼ April (33)
Post a Comment