The recent issue of Transplantation embarks on two articles on simultaneously doing a bone marrow transplantation and pancreas and islet cell respectively.
The first paper is a basic science study that showed bone marrow derived pancreatic cells are mobilized into injured pancreatic tissue and contribute to β-cell regeneration. Transplantation of BM-derived cells improved the function of injured pancreas, although the response is not sufficient to restore sustained normoglycemia is their conclusion.
The second paper was on islet cell transplants, another basic science study. Cotransplantation of bone marrow cells with islets was associated with enhanced islet graft vascularization and function in this paper.
This concept of bone marrow transplantation along with solid organs is not novel now. It was first reported few years ago in NEJM of actual 5 cases of kidney transplants along with bone marrow and the need for immunosuppresion was eliminated in these patients. This is true thinking out of the box. Long terms outcomes of these patients is still underway.
- ► 2018 (48)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- ► 2011 (370)
- JOURNAL CLUB: Metabolic Acidosis and improving GFR...
- The Online Transplant Center: Kidney Biopsy in Hea...
- Kidney Biopsy in Heart Transplant Candidates?
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Cellular Senescence and Renal Ag...
- CLINICAL CASE 12
- CLINICAL CASE 11
- IN THE NEWS ---> Vancomycin and the kidney
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Smoking and Kidney Disease
- The Online Transplant Center: Dual Liver and Kidne...
- The Online Transplant Center: HIV and the Kidney T...
- The Online Transplant Center: Obesity and Kidney T...
- Dual Liver and Kidney Transplantations
- HIV and the Kidney Transplant
- Obesity and Kidney Transplantation
- In the News: ASN website for Renal Fellows
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Adolescents and Disease
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Why do AVG and AVF get stenosis?...
- NKF reports
- CONSULT ROUNDS
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Asymptomatic Hyponatremia
- IN THE NEWS- RENAL ANGINA SYNDROME
- CLINICAL CASE 10, ANSWER AND SUMMARY
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: PHOSPHATE BINDERS
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: A rare case of statin induced rh...
- IN THE NEWS: GLOSEN Study
- IN THE NEWS: Dialysis Time
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Albuminuria and Proteinuria
- The Online Transplant Center: Antibody Mediated Re...
- Antibody Mediated Rejection Review
- The Online Transplant Center: Bone marrow transpla...
- Bone marrow transplantation and solid organs
- IN THE NEWS: Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitors and CKD
- IN THE NEWS- MORE NEPHROLOGY CONSULTS
- ▼ April (33)