A nice editorial in my favorite journal Nephrology Nature Reviews talks about the " asymptomatic hyponatremia" syndrome. When we see a calcium > 11 and no symptoms, we admit and treat. When we see a K of >6.0, we treat, so when we see an asymptomatic hyponatremia say of 130, why don't we treat? is what is asked in this editorial. The editorial brings in the points of 30% of elderly population in nursing homes having low Na levels and increase risk of falls and fractures. The cirrhotics, CHF patients who run in NA 130-135 but are having no symptoms, should they be treated? and with what. With the new agents out now ( V2 receptor antagonists, FWR or lasix) will be the other question?
This has to be further studied and looked at in my opinion.
At least in part, perhaps culprit agents should be discontinued - such as SSRIs, HCTZ to start with
and prevent worsening perhaps of the hyponatremia.
Check out this nice editorial, a must read
- ► 2018 (55)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- ► 2011 (370)
- JOURNAL CLUB: Metabolic Acidosis and improving GFR...
- The Online Transplant Center: Kidney Biopsy in Hea...
- Kidney Biopsy in Heart Transplant Candidates?
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Cellular Senescence and Renal Ag...
- CLINICAL CASE 12
- CLINICAL CASE 11
- IN THE NEWS ---> Vancomycin and the kidney
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Smoking and Kidney Disease
- The Online Transplant Center: Dual Liver and Kidne...
- The Online Transplant Center: HIV and the Kidney T...
- The Online Transplant Center: Obesity and Kidney T...
- Dual Liver and Kidney Transplantations
- HIV and the Kidney Transplant
- Obesity and Kidney Transplantation
- In the News: ASN website for Renal Fellows
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Adolescents and Disease
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Why do AVG and AVF get stenosis?...
- NKF reports
- CONSULT ROUNDS
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Asymptomatic Hyponatremia
- IN THE NEWS- RENAL ANGINA SYNDROME
- CLINICAL CASE 10, ANSWER AND SUMMARY
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: PHOSPHATE BINDERS
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: A rare case of statin induced rh...
- IN THE NEWS: GLOSEN Study
- IN THE NEWS: Dialysis Time
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Albuminuria and Proteinuria
- The Online Transplant Center: Antibody Mediated Re...
- Antibody Mediated Rejection Review
- The Online Transplant Center: Bone marrow transpla...
- Bone marrow transplantation and solid organs
- IN THE NEWS: Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitors and CKD
- IN THE NEWS- MORE NEPHROLOGY CONSULTS
- ▼ April (33)