Integrating the treatment of secondary hyperparathyroidism in ESRD
Speaker Dr. Malluche
Blogger: Dr.Azzour Hazzan
Some points from the lecture:1.There are 5 different pth assays assays
2. Have different specificity and sensitivity but the trend is telling and should be trusted.
3.Further using ratio of cap and cip may help (cap is the activating protein within the pth peptide)
4. Using pth you can only screen for high turn over, not diagnose it.
5. Bone volume is also important.
6. Dexa is unreliable and in some cases can give falsely high readings( especially vertebral bones). The hip readings are good
7. Higher bone volume correlates with less calcification in the coronary arteries and vice versa. And that is true with any age.
8. More low turn over with whites along with low volumes
9. More porosis with blacks and high turn over
- ► 2017 (37)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- Fascinating Wordle in AJT 2011
- NKF 2011 Live Blogging from Nephrology on Demand
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Vascular Amyloidosis and the Kid...
- NKF 2011 Live Blogging: Integrating the treatment ...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: TMA ( AJKD tells the tale of 2 d...
- Nephron Animation website
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Renal Involvement in Bardet-Biedl ...
- USA-Nephronpower Wordle( Nephrology Rules)
- Dichotomous Effects of Rapamycin
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: The impact of stopping inhibitor...
- Health News - Research brings new hope of renal re...
- AJP Podcasts
- IN THE NEWS--> Salt sensitive HTN and temperature?...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Renal Denervation for Treatment ...
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Pre Eclampsia
- Online CME resource( Nephrology)
- Pediatrics Grand rounds continue
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Hypophosphatemia in Nocturnal he...
- Journal CLUB: Pediatric Nephrology
- IN THE NEWS--> Statins and the Kidney after surger...
- Arteries and Kidney Transplant
- Pancreas Transplantation in the Treatment of Diabe...
- IN THE NEWS -MDR-1 polymorphisms in steroid resist...
- TOPIC DISCUSSIONS: Glomerular Disease following co...
- May 2011 Hofstra University Kidney Walk
- IN THE NEWS:- RENALASE and CKD
- Transplant Tourism and Malignancy
- IN THE NEWS --->Innovative tools in nephrology su...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Rheumatoid Arthritis and the Kid...
- Cystic Diseases of the Kidney: A primer
- CLINICAL CASE 35, ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- Submit Kidney Week 2011 Abstracts
- IVIG - how does it work from the Immunology blog?
- JOURNAL CLUB: CHOICE STUDY
- IN THE NEWS- ANCA in the Elderly
- Medicine for residents: Calcium gluconate in a dig...
- IN THE NEWS--> Detective Nephron's next venture
- Neutropenia from Tacrolimus
- IN THE NEWS-- Serum Bilirubin and chronic dialysis...
- ▼ April (39)
- ► 2010 (461)