Why are some people having salt sensitive HTN and some don't. A nice study published in HTN Research examines this concept. The researchers examined the effect of salt and water consumption versus just water upon a group of 22 healthy men without high blood pressure. The study participants' blood pressure, rectal temperature, cardiac index and urine output were monitored after the men ingested either salt and water or water alone. Changes in rectal temperature were compared between the men identified as salt sensitive versus those who were salt resistant. The study found that the ingestion of salt and water lowered body temperature more than the ingestion of water by itself. In addition, body temperature decreased more in individuals who are salt resistant than in individuals who are salt sensitive.
Don't know what to make of these results in a small study. It still begs the question on salt sensitivity is seen in some individuals and some it doesn't apply.
Check out the original study here
- ► 2023 (20)
- ► 2022 (18)
- ► 2021 (36)
- ► 2020 (32)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- Fascinating Wordle in AJT 2011
- NKF 2011 Live Blogging from Nephrology on Demand
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Vascular Amyloidosis and the Kidney
- NKF 2011 Live Blogging: Integrating the treatment ...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: TMA ( AJKD tells the tale of 2 d...
- Nephron Animation website
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Renal Involvement in Bardet-Biedl ...
- USA-Nephronpower Wordle( Nephrology Rules)
- Dichotomous Effects of Rapamycin
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: The impact of stopping inhibitor...
- Health News - Research brings new hope of renal re...
- AJP Podcasts
- IN THE NEWS--> Salt sensitive HTN and temperature?
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Renal Denervation for Treatment ...
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Pre Eclampsia
- Online CME resource( Nephrology)
- Pediatrics Grand rounds continue
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Hypophosphatemia in Nocturnal he...
- Journal CLUB: Pediatric Nephrology
- IN THE NEWS--> Statins and the Kidney after surgery
- Arteries and Kidney Transplant
- Pancreas Transplantation in the Treatment of Diabetes
- IN THE NEWS -MDR-1 polymorphisms in steroid resist...
- TOPIC DISCUSSIONS: Glomerular Disease following co...
- May 2011 Hofstra University Kidney Walk
- IN THE NEWS:- RENALASE and CKD
- Transplant Tourism and Malignancy
- IN THE NEWS --->Innovative tools in nephrology su...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Rheumatoid Arthritis and the Kidney
- Cystic Diseases of the Kidney: A primer
- CLINICAL CASE 35, ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- Submit Kidney Week 2011 Abstracts
- IVIG - how does it work from the Immunology blog?
- JOURNAL CLUB: CHOICE STUDY
- IN THE NEWS- ANCA in the Elderly
- Medicine for residents: Calcium gluconate in a dig...
- IN THE NEWS--> Detective Nephron's next venture
- Neutropenia from Tacrolimus
- IN THE NEWS-- Serum Bilirubin and chronic dialysis...
- ▼ April (39)
- ► 2010 (461)