Saturday, April 2, 2011
Neutropenia from Tacrolimus
Post transplant neutropenia has many causes. Etiology is usually medications, infections, cancer.
In a retrospective evaluation, 28% neutropenia was noted after first year of transplantation. Most of this was sought to be from MMF-tacrolimus combination.
The drugs we usually consider are: MMF, azathioprine, acyclovir, gancyclovir, bactrim, valcyte.
A recent review on CJASN 2011, presents three patients with pure tacrolimus induced neutropenia and the mechanism behind it. All improved after they were switched to cyclosporine.
Why does it happen?
1. Direct inhibition of myeloid cells
2. effect of the drug on mononuclear accessory cells
3. pharmacokinetic interaction between MMF and tacrolimus
4. autoantibodies against myeloid precursors or mature neutrophils
- ► 2021 (36)
- ► 2020 (32)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- Fascinating Wordle in AJT 2011
- NKF 2011 Live Blogging from Nephrology on Demand
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Vascular Amyloidosis and the Kidney
- NKF 2011 Live Blogging: Integrating the treatment ...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: TMA ( AJKD tells the tale of 2 d...
- Nephron Animation website
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Renal Involvement in Bardet-Biedl ...
- USA-Nephronpower Wordle( Nephrology Rules)
- Dichotomous Effects of Rapamycin
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: The impact of stopping inhibitor...
- Health News - Research brings new hope of renal re...
- AJP Podcasts
- IN THE NEWS--> Salt sensitive HTN and temperature?
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Renal Denervation for Treatment ...
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Pre Eclampsia
- Online CME resource( Nephrology)
- Pediatrics Grand rounds continue
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Hypophosphatemia in Nocturnal he...
- Journal CLUB: Pediatric Nephrology
- IN THE NEWS--> Statins and the Kidney after surgery
- Arteries and Kidney Transplant
- Pancreas Transplantation in the Treatment of Diabetes
- IN THE NEWS -MDR-1 polymorphisms in steroid resist...
- TOPIC DISCUSSIONS: Glomerular Disease following co...
- May 2011 Hofstra University Kidney Walk
- IN THE NEWS:- RENALASE and CKD
- Transplant Tourism and Malignancy
- IN THE NEWS --->Innovative tools in nephrology su...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Rheumatoid Arthritis and the Kidney
- Cystic Diseases of the Kidney: A primer
- CLINICAL CASE 35, ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- Submit Kidney Week 2011 Abstracts
- IVIG - how does it work from the Immunology blog?
- JOURNAL CLUB: CHOICE STUDY
- IN THE NEWS- ANCA in the Elderly
- Medicine for residents: Calcium gluconate in a dig...
- IN THE NEWS--> Detective Nephron's next venture
- Neutropenia from Tacrolimus
- IN THE NEWS-- Serum Bilirubin and chronic dialysis...
- ▼ April (39)
- ► 2010 (461)