Monday, June 14, 2010
Are you aware of MICA antibodies?
Some kidney transplants fail despite good HLA matches. The main targets for antibody mediated rejection are HLA antigens. Among non-HLA antigens that can induce an antibody response, MHC class 1-related chain A (MICA) antigens appear significant enough to affect acute and chronic graft outcomes. MICA antigens are expressed on endothelial cells, dendritic cells, fibroblasts, epithelial cells but not on peripheral blood lymphocytes. As they are expressed on endothelial cells, it seems that antibodies against MICA antigens are harmful especially to vascularized allografts like renal allograft. In a landmark study (Zou et al, NEJM Sep 2007), pretransplantation MICA antibodies were found in about 11% of 1910 renal transplant recipients. It was found that recipients with pre-transplantation MICA antibodes had lower 1-year graft survival compared to those without MICA antibodies suggesting adverse role of these antibodies. However, a more recent but smaller study (Lemy et al, Transplantation, May 2010) failed to replicate same findings. In this study, MICA antibodies did not adverse affect renal allograft outcomes.
- ► 2020 (19)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- ► 2011 (370)
- IN THE NEWS: Three trials SHOCK the NEPHROLOGY WORLD
- IN THE NEWS:- Angiotensin-receptor blockade and r...
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Hypocomplementemia!
- IN THE NEWS ---> Stem Cells and Kidney Damage
- Answer to Immunology Quiz 2
- Rituximab for induction?
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Phosphorous containing foods
- Panel Reactive Antibody? how do you calculate?
- Topic Discussion: MYH9 Nephropathies
- Pediatrics Grand rounds continue
- CLINICAL CASE 18, ANSWER and SUMMARY
- New blogs of interest
- Topic Discussion: Primary vs Secondary Membranous
- CLINICAL CASE 17, ANSWER AND SUMMARY
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Amylase in the urine?? Hmm!!
- Gurudakshina in Nephrology
- Are you aware of MICA antibodies?
- ISBP Conference Sept 2010
- Innovative Nephrology teaching tools!
- Kamal Shah's Blog: An Indian CKD registry now exists
- CLINICAL CASE 16 , ANSWER and SUMMARY
- IN THE NEWS- Proteinuria and Avastin
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Dialysis Membrane Reactions- Type B
- IN THE NEWS ---> New treatments for cystic disease
- Immunology Quiz 1 Answers
- Rituximab induced lung injury
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: DIABETIC NEPHROPATHY!!
- B cell signature and Tolerance
- Nephrology World on Intragraft gene expression
- Kidney Transplant as an Outpatient Procedure
- IN THE NEWS ---> Detective Nephron strikes again!
- IN THE NEWS --->NephrologyonDemand
- CONSULT ROUNDS: ANURIC RENAL FAILURE
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Hydronephrosis without evidence on...
- Journal Club: B regulatory cells
- CLINICAL CASE 15 , ANSWER and SUMMARY
- ▼ June (36)