Nature Nephrology, one of my favorite journals talks about the recent trials and overall summary of the diagnosis and treatment of renal artery stenosis. What I loved about the article is an overall summation of all studies that is noted in table 2. In Box 1, they also list other causes of renal artery stenosis that we often forget to look for:- fibromuscular dysplasia, arterititis( PAN, Takayasu), Tuberous Sclerosis, vascular Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, Renal artery spasm, etc.
Basically, this review article concludes that atherosclerotic renal artery stenosis should be aimed at prolonging the period that is free from cardiovascular or renal events. Age and age related risk factors, vascular disease, hypertension, renal function and kidney size all are determining factors of how patients should be treated.
Patients with FMD should be treated more aggresively with stenting as angioplasty has a better blood pressure outcome in FMD than atherosclerotic RAS. but again, each case has to be taken on an individual basis, based on age and other co morbid factors.
Image courtesy: vascularweb.com
- ► 2021 (36)
- ► 2020 (32)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- ► 2011 (370)
- CLINICAL CASE 9
- The Online Transplant Center: Post transplant MPGN
- Post transplant MPGN
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: PCO2, which one is better?
- Image Quiz- Answers
- CONSULT ROUNDS: METHANOL and the EYE?
- CONSULT ROUNDS: ACID BASE
- JOURNAL CLUB: Kidney allograft nephrectomy can imp...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Nutrition
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Drugs and Cyclosporine
- IN THE NEWS- NSF and Kidney Transplantation
- Bowel Transplantations, not enough!
- Horseshoe Kidney
- The Online Transplant Center: New Agents for renal...
- CLINICAL CASE 8
- History of Nephrology: The first randomised contro...
- Common Sense vs. Evidence-based Medicine
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: DIFFERENT TYPES OF PROTEINURIA
- New Agents for renal transplantation
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Renal Artery Stenosis
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: THE WWW and the NEPHROLOGIST
- IN THE NEWS- Hyperkalemia treatment in trouble
- IN THE NEWS ---> ACUTE KIDNEY INJURY
- CONSULT ROUNDS: SIADH and Escitalopram ( lexapro)
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Clinical dilemma in Nephrogenic Di...
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Metformin toxicity, Lactic Acidosi...
- CLINICAL CASE 7
- IN THE NEWS- HgA1C for Diabetes Diagnosis. How abo...
- KIDNEY DONORS have Good Long term survival
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: VEGF Nephropathology
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Post Transplant Collapsing FSGS,...
- Post Transplant Collapsing FSGS: Is it really all ...
- CLINICAL CASE 6
- Topic Discussion: OUCH!! Should Anesthesia Hurt??
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Alcohol Poisonings, gaps and osm...
- Belatacept approved by FDA
- Protocol Biopsies in Renal Allograft Recipients
- ▼ March (37)