Interestingly, just read in AJT that bowel transplantations are not happening as much as they should.
The AJT report summarizes some of the reasons why.
1. Experience of Physicians and surgeons taking care of these patients
2. Knowledge gap and some physicians even not knowing this option exists.
3. TPN might be a better options in some viewpoints
4. There are not enough recipients
5. Some physicians consider this an experimental procedure.
As a Nephrologists, I think that its fascinating that the field of transplantation and immunology has come this far and hopefully in future, bowel transplantation might become a more standard of care option for patients with intestinal failure.
Monday, March 22, 2010
Bowel Transplantations, not enough!
Posted by Kenar D Jhaveri( kidney 007) at 3:58 PM
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
- ► 2022 (18)
- ► 2021 (36)
- ► 2020 (32)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- ► 2011 (370)
- CLINICAL CASE 9
- The Online Transplant Center: Post transplant MPGN
- Post transplant MPGN
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: PCO2, which one is better?
- Image Quiz- Answers
- CONSULT ROUNDS: METHANOL and the EYE?
- CONSULT ROUNDS: ACID BASE
- JOURNAL CLUB: Kidney allograft nephrectomy can imp...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Nutrition
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Drugs and Cyclosporine
- IN THE NEWS- NSF and Kidney Transplantation
- Bowel Transplantations, not enough!
- Horseshoe Kidney
- The Online Transplant Center: New Agents for renal...
- CLINICAL CASE 8
- History of Nephrology: The first randomised contro...
- Common Sense vs. Evidence-based Medicine
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: DIFFERENT TYPES OF PROTEINURIA
- New Agents for renal transplantation
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Renal Artery Stenosis
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: THE WWW and the NEPHROLOGIST
- IN THE NEWS- Hyperkalemia treatment in trouble
- IN THE NEWS ---> ACUTE KIDNEY INJURY
- CONSULT ROUNDS: SIADH and Escitalopram ( lexapro)
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Clinical dilemma in Nephrogenic Di...
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Metformin toxicity, Lactic Acidosi...
- CLINICAL CASE 7
- IN THE NEWS- HgA1C for Diabetes Diagnosis. How abo...
- KIDNEY DONORS have Good Long term survival
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: VEGF Nephropathology
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Post Transplant Collapsing FSGS,...
- Post Transplant Collapsing FSGS: Is it really all ...
- CLINICAL CASE 6
- Topic Discussion: OUCH!! Should Anesthesia Hurt??
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Alcohol Poisonings, gaps and osm...
- Belatacept approved by FDA
- Protocol Biopsies in Renal Allograft Recipients
- ▼ March (37)
Post a Comment