As medical lab tests become cheaper and more easily accessible to a click of a mouse or tick of a pen, we forget the " tar baby" effect. A test that might appear " safe" and make you feel " complete" when you see a patient, might have drastic consequences when it leads to anxiety and frustration and can have a mountainous effect leading to other tests.
As our urges tell us to order these tests, we have to control and look at the clinical picture and decide - is it necessary? Its also hard to argue these points in the current era of malpractice and law suits and the need for the physician to have done a "complete workup". Its a sad state of affairs but this "tar baby" effect is not going away anytime soon.
And this applies to Nephrology as well!
Take a look at this fascinating article shared to me by a friend
- ► 2023 (20)
- ► 2022 (18)
- ► 2021 (36)
- ► 2020 (32)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- eAJKD: Cardiac biomarkers in CKD
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Sjogren's Syndrome and Glomerular ...
- Access educational Tool
- Image Quiz: What causes this color?
- Complement Component Quiz Answers
- eAJKD: Pemetrexed Nephrotoxicity
- Clinical case 47: Answers and Summary
- eAJKD: Sulodexide in Diabetic Nephropathy: Is Ther...
- Journal Club: Tolvaptan in ADPKD
- Frequent Hemodialysis Trials: ASN 2011 update
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: SIADH diagnosis
- Complement Component Quiz
- World Kidney Day Crosswords Answers
- ASN2011: Dialysis Mortality
- Topic Discussion: Nano Medicine ( ASN 2011)
- ASN2011: Complement related disorders
- eAJKD : Nephrology and the Internet
- Journal Club: Blocking complement prevents antibod...
- ASN2011: Pearls on Peritoneal Dialysis
- ASN2011: CPC- Adenovirus Nephropathy
- ASN2011: late breaking trials: RESCUE TRIAL
- ASN2011: Late Breaking Oral Presentation: FISH Trial
- ASN Kidney News 3 day podcast from ASN
- History of Nephrology: First ASN
- ASN 2011: West Nile Nephropathy
- ASN 2011: MPGN revisted
- NSLIJ - Lengthening Kidney Dialysis Treatments Cou...
- NSLIJ - When Doctors Turn to Google for Diagnosis ...
- E Journal Club:- CJASN feature
- Nephrology Crossword- from World Kidney Day
- eAJKD, the official blog of AJKD
- Journal Club: Can Sirolimus ever replace a CNI??
- In the News: Inducible Apoptosis- but could it wor...
- CLINICAL CASE 46 ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- Topic Discussion: "Kicking the Tar baby" effect
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Normal Complements and Infection a...
- ▼ November (36)
- ► 2010 (461)