Post infectious GN usually has been associated with hypocomplementemia. There are certain situations where the complements can be normal and you still have an "infection" associated GN.
A nice trail by history revealed an old article from 1970s from NEJM. They studied 11 patients with visceral abscesses in whom renal injury was present. All biopsies showed diffuse proliferative GN. 7/11 had normal complements and 4/11 had low complements. No endocarditis was present and no cryoglobulins. The course of the renal disease closely related to the resolution of the abscesses. Hence this is a very important cause of normal complement associated post infectious or "infection associated immune complex disease"
To take this topic further. It is not uncommon to see normal complements in early classic post infectious GN. Clinical suspicion and history can sometimes be more important than lab tests. Take a look at the second article listed below which is also from 1970s regarding early complements levels in PIGN.
A new entity called Post infectious Ig A variant of PIGN can also lead to normal complements and similar picture. In this case, one sees mesangial deposits of IgA in a PIGN setting with neutrophils; usually in DMII, elderly and Staph infections. Check out an NDT article below regarding this entity.
- ► 2021 (36)
- ► 2020 (32)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- eAJKD: Cardiac biomarkers in CKD
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Sjogren's Syndrome and Glomerular ...
- Access educational Tool
- Image Quiz: What causes this color?
- Complement Component Quiz Answers
- eAJKD: Pemetrexed Nephrotoxicity
- Clinical case 47: Answers and Summary
- eAJKD: Sulodexide in Diabetic Nephropathy: Is Ther...
- Journal Club: Tolvaptan in ADPKD
- Frequent Hemodialysis Trials: ASN 2011 update
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: SIADH diagnosis
- Complement Component Quiz
- World Kidney Day Crosswords Answers
- ASN2011: Dialysis Mortality
- Topic Discussion: Nano Medicine ( ASN 2011)
- ASN2011: Complement related disorders
- eAJKD : Nephrology and the Internet
- Journal Club: Blocking complement prevents antibod...
- ASN2011: Pearls on Peritoneal Dialysis
- ASN2011: CPC- Adenovirus Nephropathy
- ASN2011: late breaking trials: RESCUE TRIAL
- ASN2011: Late Breaking Oral Presentation: FISH Trial
- ASN Kidney News 3 day podcast from ASN
- History of Nephrology: First ASN
- ASN 2011: West Nile Nephropathy
- ASN 2011: MPGN revisted
- NSLIJ - Lengthening Kidney Dialysis Treatments Cou...
- NSLIJ - When Doctors Turn to Google for Diagnosis ...
- E Journal Club:- CJASN feature
- Nephrology Crossword- from World Kidney Day
- eAJKD, the official blog of AJKD
- Journal Club: Can Sirolimus ever replace a CNI??
- In the News: Inducible Apoptosis- but could it wor...
- CLINICAL CASE 46 ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- Topic Discussion: "Kicking the Tar baby" effect
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Normal Complements and Infection a...
- ▼ November (36)
- ► 2010 (461)