A trial was presented about looking at Sirolimus(SRL) in primary prevention of skin cancer in kidney transplant recipients. Patients with history of known skin cancer who had received a kidney transplant were randomized to continue their current CNI based regimen or change to a SRL based regimen.
Use of SRL based regimen showed a 67% risk reduction of skin cancer. Data on post CrCl and proteinuria was not presented. It shows again and again to use that SRL is a very good cancer preventive agent but can it prevent acute rejection episodes and proteinuria is not clear. Data from Canada in mice studies discussed earlier in the Onco Nephrology pre course by Dr. Susan Quaggin shed light on the mTOR pathway. It appears that if the mTOR pathway is completely knocked out in mice, they developed collapsing FSGS and ESRD in 3-4 weeks. Clinically, perhaps SRL doesn't do a complete blockade and hence we don't get such drastic findings but here and there we do hear about the significant proteinuria from SRL.
- ► 2020 (25)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- eAJKD: Cardiac biomarkers in CKD
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Sjogren's Syndrome and Glomerular ...
- Access educational Tool
- Image Quiz: What causes this color?
- Complement Component Quiz Answers
- eAJKD: Pemetrexed Nephrotoxicity
- Clinical case 47: Answers and Summary
- eAJKD: Sulodexide in Diabetic Nephropathy: Is Ther...
- Journal Club: Tolvaptan in ADPKD
- Frequent Hemodialysis Trials: ASN 2011 update
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: SIADH diagnosis
- Complement Component Quiz
- World Kidney Day Crosswords Answers
- ASN2011: Dialysis Mortality
- Topic Discussion: Nano Medicine ( ASN 2011)
- ASN2011: Complement related disorders
- eAJKD : Nephrology and the Internet
- Journal Club: Blocking complement prevents antibod...
- ASN2011: Pearls on Peritoneal Dialysis
- ASN2011: CPC- Adenovirus Nephropathy
- ASN2011: late breaking trials: RESCUE TRIAL
- ASN2011: Late Breaking Oral Presentation: FISH Trial
- ASN Kidney News 3 day podcast from ASN
- History of Nephrology: First ASN
- ASN 2011: West Nile Nephropathy
- ASN 2011: MPGN revisted
- NSLIJ - Lengthening Kidney Dialysis Treatments Cou...
- NSLIJ - When Doctors Turn to Google for Diagnosis ...
- E Journal Club:- CJASN feature
- Nephrology Crossword- from World Kidney Day
- eAJKD, the official blog of AJKD
- Journal Club: Can Sirolimus ever replace a CNI??
- In the News: Inducible Apoptosis- but could it wor...
- CLINICAL CASE 46 ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- Topic Discussion: "Kicking the Tar baby" effect
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Normal Complements and Infection a...
- ▼ November (36)
- ► 2010 (461)