Glucose based solutions are standard for PD.
Two non glucose based are also available: Icodextrin and amino acids.
1. EAPOS trial compared retrospectively on membrane function and it showed stable membrane function and better UF with the icodextrin arm
2. Exposure to hyperglycemia and subsequent effects of glucose absorption are less with these agents
3. No side effects are noted with these agents
4. No clinical data are present to support use of amino acids as membrane protectors
5. Cost of above agents are a lot and hence not used much in USA.
Something to ponder about
Check out the recent Seminars in Dialysis review on this topic by Peter Blake
Thursday, August 4, 2011
Topic Discussion: Non glucose based solutions for Peritoneal Dialysis
Posted by Kenar D Jhaveri( kidney 007) at 1:42 PM
Labels: CKD and ESRD, EAPOS, icodextrin, peritoneal dialysis, topic discussions
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
- ► 2022 (18)
- ► 2021 (36)
- ► 2020 (32)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- FGF-23 and Mortality Journal Club
- Curbside Consults
- It's official -- chocolate linked to heart health
- Concept Map of MPGN pattern of Injury
- NEJM article highlights Malpractice Risk by Specialty
- IN the NEWS:- Internet and Nephrology
- Pseudo-nephrotic Syndrome
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Retinal-Renal Diseases
- CLINICAL CASE 41: ANSWERS and SUMMARY
- Topic Discussion: Uromodulin Associated Kidney Dis...
- Nephrology Crosswords-History of Nephrology
- The "Nephrologist"as a patient advocate
- Mohan foundation: First of its Kind in ASIA
- NephroPlus, a new email group to join for discussi...
- TRIBE AKI Consortium
- Consult Rounds: Alkalemia causing Metabolic Acidosis
- IN THE NEWS: Rituximab Targeting Podocytes in Recu...
- IN THE NEWS: SuPAR circulating Factor for FSGS
- Green tea and Tacrolimus
- Consult Rounds: High Uric Acid
- Topic Discussion: Non glucose based solutions for ...
- The Art of Medicine: Let’s Not Lose It In Nephrology
- CLINICAL CASE 40: ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Adequacy of Dialysis HD vs. PD
- ▼ August (24)
- ► 2010 (461)
Post a Comment