Uric acid elevations are frequently noted in patients with renal insufficiency as a clearance related problem.
We also note seriously high uric acid levels in patients with tumor lysis syndromes or large tumor burdens.
HCTZ can also do it.
What about tissue hypxia? Changes in oxygen tension has been associated with modulation of purine turnover.
Rat and human studies have shown that uric acid levels in hypoxia are much higher than normoxia and hyperoxia. There is a correlation that hypoxia results in greater purine catabolism and leading to increased production of uric acid. Hence we often see lactate levels correlating well with uric acid levels in sepsis.
Friday, August 5, 2011
Consult Rounds: High Uric Acid
Posted by Kenar D Jhaveri( kidney 007) at 12:18 PM
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
- ► 2022 (18)
- ► 2021 (36)
- ► 2020 (32)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- FGF-23 and Mortality Journal Club
- Curbside Consults
- It's official -- chocolate linked to heart health
- Concept Map of MPGN pattern of Injury
- NEJM article highlights Malpractice Risk by Specialty
- IN the NEWS:- Internet and Nephrology
- Pseudo-nephrotic Syndrome
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Retinal-Renal Diseases
- CLINICAL CASE 41: ANSWERS and SUMMARY
- Topic Discussion: Uromodulin Associated Kidney Dis...
- Nephrology Crosswords-History of Nephrology
- The "Nephrologist"as a patient advocate
- Mohan foundation: First of its Kind in ASIA
- NephroPlus, a new email group to join for discussi...
- TRIBE AKI Consortium
- Consult Rounds: Alkalemia causing Metabolic Acidosis
- IN THE NEWS: Rituximab Targeting Podocytes in Recu...
- IN THE NEWS: SuPAR circulating Factor for FSGS
- Green tea and Tacrolimus
- Consult Rounds: High Uric Acid
- Topic Discussion: Non glucose based solutions for ...
- The Art of Medicine: Let’s Not Lose It In Nephrology
- CLINICAL CASE 40: ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Adequacy of Dialysis HD vs. PD
- ▼ August (24)
- ► 2010 (461)
Post a Comment