Proposed Kidney Transplant Rules Favor Younger, Healthier Recipients
Kidney transplants would be given preferentially to younger, healthier patients, under rules being considered by the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS), according to the Washington Post.
Current rules favor recipients who have been on waiting lists longest, but the shift is an attempt "to get the most out of a scarce resource," according to Dr. Kenneth Andreoni, the chair of the UNOS committee considering the changes, as quoted in the Post.
Bioethicist Arthur Caplan, also quoted in the article, says that the change has implications for other areas of medicine: "This is moving it away from a save-the-sickest strategy to trying to get a greater yield in terms of years of life saved."
UNOS has circulated a document describing the proposal and is seeking comments. We link to it below.
Washington Post article (Free)
- ► 2019 (34)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- Nephronpower Views
- HyperKalemia Challenge
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Residual renal function???
- AST Fellows Symposium on Transplantation Medicine
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Ranolazine and the Kidney?
- CONSULT ROUNDS: A primer on CVVHDF orders
- CLINICAL CASE 33, ANSWERS and SUMMARY
- Who gets kidney first?- the thoughts in 2011
- IN THE NEWS- E Nephrology
- Concept Map of Viruses and the diseases in the kid...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: What causes Foamy Urine?
- ATC and NKF Abstracts 2011 are on line for viewing...
- Kidney transplant and donation cancer risks
- Concept Map of HIV, Hep C and Hep B and the Kidney...
- Viruses and the Kidney, a primer! ( a case based a...
- Concept Map of Viruses and the Kidney, a general m...
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Preparing For a Pheochromocytoma R...
- Kidney Transplant Recipient Infected With HIV From...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Contraction Alkalosis or CDMA?
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Lactate levels and B2 agonists? ...
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Cefepime Neuro-toxicity and the Ne...
- More Pediatric Grand Rounds from www.pediatric-nep...
- Olmesartan for Patients with Diabetes
- ASN Review course 2011
- Hematuria Post Kidney Transplantation
- Notes from Dr. RW: Hyponatremia update
- Paraproteins and the Kidney
- Concept Map of Hypernatremia
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: TB and the Kidney
- Virtual Library ( the Welch Library) Part 2
- IN THE NEWS: Belimumab and Lupus
- Top Ten Reasons to Love you Kidneys
- Virtual Library ( the Welch Library) Part 1
- Elimination of anti rejection medicaitons
- Smoldering vs Active Myeloma
- Tissue Engineering Renal Tissue
- Concept Map of Hyponatremia
- Concept Map of BK Nephritis Treatment
- Bortezomib for desensitization!
- JOURNAL CLUB: FHN Trial
- Complications of Peritoneal Dialysis
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Amyloidosis and Factor X deficie...
- CLINICAL CASE 34, ANSWER AND SUMMARY
- IN THE NEWS--> DOSE TRIAL
- ANCA VASCULITIS
- CONSULT ROUNDS: An approach to orthostatic hypoten...
- In the News: Transplant rules changing
- Concept Map of Kidney Injury in hematopoietic Stem...
- Growing Kidneys
- ▼ March (49)
- ► 2010 (461)