ASN news recently reported a study that is ongoing using specially processed stem cells from the same kidney donor being transplanted along with the kidney to that recipient, allowing that to continue in chimerism leading to an early presumed tolerance and hence no anti rejection medications for long term.
This concept is not new and has been attempted in the recent past. In 2008, NEJM paper by David Sachs et al showed that 5 patients could come off all immunosuppresion after a combined stem cell and kidney transplantation. This theory is used in myeloma treatment as well when patients get an allogenic and kidney transplant at the same time allowing to help both the organs of treatment.
A similar concept was presented recently in CJASN Feb 2011 issue about using autologous mesanchymal stromal cells during kidney transplants. They showed that in two patients, this allowed engraftment of T regs in the peripheral blood and control memory CD8 T cells function. In vitro studies have shown that mesenchymal stromal cells abrogate allo immune response and could function as anti T cell agents in a "different" manner.
here is some older data on this topic:
- ► 2023 (19)
- ► 2022 (18)
- ► 2021 (36)
- ► 2020 (32)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- Nephronpower Views
- HyperKalemia Challenge
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Residual renal function???
- AST Fellows Symposium on Transplantation Medicine
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Ranolazine and the Kidney?
- CONSULT ROUNDS: A primer on CVVHDF orders
- CLINICAL CASE 33, ANSWERS and SUMMARY
- Who gets kidney first?- the thoughts in 2011
- IN THE NEWS- E Nephrology
- Concept Map of Viruses and the diseases in the kid...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: What causes Foamy Urine?
- ATC and NKF Abstracts 2011 are on line for viewing
- Kidney transplant and donation cancer risks
- Concept Map of HIV, Hep C and Hep B and the Kidney
- Viruses and the Kidney, a primer! ( a case based a...
- Concept Map of Viruses and the Kidney, a general m...
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Preparing For a Pheochromocytoma R...
- Kidney Transplant Recipient Infected With HIV From...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Contraction Alkalosis or CDMA?
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Lactate levels and B2 agonists? ...
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Cefepime Neuro-toxicity and the Ne...
- More Pediatric Grand Rounds from www.pediatric-nep...
- Olmesartan for Patients with Diabetes
- ASN Review course 2011
- Hematuria Post Kidney Transplantation
- Notes from Dr. RW: Hyponatremia update
- Paraproteins and the Kidney
- Concept Map of Hypernatremia
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: TB and the Kidney
- Virtual Library ( the Welch Library) Part 2
- IN THE NEWS: Belimumab and Lupus
- Top Ten Reasons to Love you Kidneys
- Virtual Library ( the Welch Library) Part 1
- Elimination of anti rejection medicaitons
- Smoldering vs Active Myeloma
- Tissue Engineering Renal Tissue
- Concept Map of Hyponatremia
- Concept Map of BK Nephritis Treatment
- Bortezomib for desensitization!
- JOURNAL CLUB: FHN Trial
- Complications of Peritoneal Dialysis
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Amyloidosis and Factor X deficiency
- CLINICAL CASE 34, ANSWER AND SUMMARY
- IN THE NEWS--> DOSE TRIAL
- ANCA VASCULITIS
- CONSULT ROUNDS: An approach to orthostatic hypoten...
- In the News: Transplant rules changing
- Concept Map of Kidney Injury in hematopoietic Stem...
- Growing Kidneys
- ▼ March (49)
- ► 2010 (461)