We often associate this term:- residual renal function(RRF) with Peritoneal dialysis and how important that is for fluid management. Why is this not that emphasized in Hemodialysis???
Does residual renal function matter in any dialysis modality? The short answer is yes!!
A recent paper in NDT looked at mortality in 1800 haemodialysis (HD) and peritoneal dialysis (PD) patients in 1996-2006. The investigators estimated a hazard ratio (HR) corresponding to the effect of the full loss of GFR on mortality, as compared to not having fully lost GFR, of 1.50 [95% confidence interval (CI) 1.09-2.07]. The HR corresponding to the effect of GFR when GFR is not (yet) fully lost on mortality was 0.97 (95% CI 0.92-1.02) (per mL/min/1.73m(2)). They found no significant difference in the effect of GFR on mortality between patients starting on PD and HD. They concluded that preventing or delaying the full loss of GFR can improve survival in dialysis patients. This supports the importance that is given to the effect of treatment options for patients with ESRD on the rate of decline of the residual renal function.
Another study found that patients without RRF were older, had lower baseline serum albumin levels and spent 18.6 more days in hospital per year than those with RRF. Mean survival time was significantly lower in patients without RRF (p = 0.027). In a Cox proportional hazards model, only RRF remained as a significant independent predictor.
Another study in CJASN found a strong relation between RRF and improved phosphate and anemia control in HD patients.
Given these recent studies, it appears that RRF is very important in HD patients as well. Perhaps holding ACE-inhibitors and/or angiotensin-receptor blockers, limiting the use of nephrotoxic drugs, avoiding dialysis associated hypotension, avoiding contrast media procedures, adequate control of blood pressure might help preserve that RRF. All three studies are listed below!
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- Nephronpower Views
- HyperKalemia Challenge
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Residual renal function???
- AST Fellows Symposium on Transplantation Medicine
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Ranolazine and the Kidney?
- CONSULT ROUNDS: A primer on CVVHDF orders
- CLINICAL CASE 33, ANSWERS and SUMMARY
- Who gets kidney first?- the thoughts in 2011
- IN THE NEWS- E Nephrology
- Concept Map of Viruses and the diseases in the kid...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: What causes Foamy Urine?
- ATC and NKF Abstracts 2011 are on line for viewing...
- Kidney transplant and donation cancer risks
- Concept Map of HIV, Hep C and Hep B and the Kidney...
- Viruses and the Kidney, a primer! ( a case based a...
- Concept Map of Viruses and the Kidney, a general m...
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Preparing For a Pheochromocytoma R...
- Kidney Transplant Recipient Infected With HIV From...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Contraction Alkalosis or CDMA?
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Lactate levels and B2 agonists? ...
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Cefepime Neuro-toxicity and the Ne...
- More Pediatric Grand Rounds from www.pediatric-nep...
- Olmesartan for Patients with Diabetes
- ASN Review course 2011
- Hematuria Post Kidney Transplantation
- Notes from Dr. RW: Hyponatremia update
- Paraproteins and the Kidney
- Concept Map of Hypernatremia
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: TB and the Kidney
- Virtual Library ( the Welch Library) Part 2
- IN THE NEWS: Belimumab and Lupus
- Top Ten Reasons to Love you Kidneys
- Virtual Library ( the Welch Library) Part 1
- Elimination of anti rejection medicaitons
- Smoldering vs Active Myeloma
- Tissue Engineering Renal Tissue
- Concept Map of Hyponatremia
- Concept Map of BK Nephritis Treatment
- Bortezomib for desensitization!
- JOURNAL CLUB: FHN Trial
- Complications of Peritoneal Dialysis
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Amyloidosis and Factor X deficie...
- CLINICAL CASE 34, ANSWER AND SUMMARY
- IN THE NEWS--> DOSE TRIAL
- ANCA VASCULITIS
- CONSULT ROUNDS: An approach to orthostatic hypoten...
- In the News: Transplant rules changing
- Concept Map of Kidney Injury in hematopoietic Stem...
- Growing Kidneys
- ▼ March (49)
- ► 2010 (461)