" the kidney has, of late years, been frequently the seat of surgical interference. It may be exposed for exploration or the evacuation of pus( nephrotomy); it may be incised for the removal of stone (nephro-lithotomy); it may be sutured when movable or floating (nephrorraphy); or it may be removed (nephrectomy)." - The Urinary Organs, Book: Gray's Anatomy( collector's edition)
Interesting language from historical books. We don't use "nephrotomy" any more. When you google that term, you don't get anything back much except pages of "nephrostomy". Evacuation of pus is now mostly an interventional radiology procedure. Nephrolithotomy is now the realms of the urologist. Floating kidney is now called "nephroptosis". How often do we see nephrectomies being done now for non transplant related reasons? Very little.
- ► 2021 (36)
- ► 2020 (32)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- Topic Discussion: Old and New view of "Contraction...
- Dialysis Modality Poll on eAJKD
- A good Nephro Pathology Resource
- C3 Glomerular Disease or Post infectious GN?
- eAJKD: Advanced age and Kidney Transplantation
- CLINICAL CASE 52: ANSWERS and SUMMARY
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: A new shift in Minimal Change Di...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: "effective blood volume"
- JOURNAL CLUB: Bedtime dosing of anti hypertensives
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Primary Polydipsia
- History Lesson: from the "Gray's Anatomy"
- Insufficient Medicare Drug Coverage for Immunosupp...
- Revival of bedside medicine
- CLINICAL CASE 51, Answers and Summary
- Concept Map: Hyponatremia( etiology and pathogenesis)
- CXVascular - CX Additional events - CX St George's...
- Cost and more costs- The burden of CKD
- eAJKD: Interviews
- eAJKD test your knowledge
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Minimal Change Disease and lupus
- ▼ February (20)
- ► 2011 (370)
- ► 2010 (461)