A question was raised regarding the sleep quality in PD patients --
So here is what I found-
1) Sleep disturbances occur in 45% to 88% of patients on peritoneal dialysis.
2) Incidence/prevalence is no different from there peers on HD.
3) OSA needs to ruled out on most of these patients.
4) Most common reported symptoms are daytime sleepiness, fatigue, sleep latency and frequent nighttime awakenings.
5) Most common causes are - OSA, machine related prob & alarms, difficulty finding comfortable position, depression, psychosocial factors, marital status and abnormal melatonin release and sleep-wake cycle. Most of the above reasons are common to both HD and PD patients.
At least from the above information I feel confident about a patient's sleep quality and concerns would be no different weather they choose HD or PD.
Arun Chawla, MD
- ► 2023 (17)
- ► 2022 (18)
- ► 2021 (36)
- ► 2020 (32)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- ► 2011 (370)
- Virtual Grand Rounds in Nephrology- E nephrology
- ASN's review on the ESRD bundling
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: EFFECT OF PROTEINURIA on combina...
- Poem from Pediatric Nephrologist
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: ACE induce angioedema replaced b...
- Nephsap review: Chronic Kidney Disease : CKD patie...
- Nephsap review: Chronic Kidney Disease: Troponin T...
- Bundled Payment for ESRD
- 2010 North American Dialysis and Transplantation (...
- Hematuria and Donation?
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Do Peritoneal Dialysis patients ...
- Renal Fellow Network: Deciphering the pathologists...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: TIDAL PD
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: DEXA SCAN in TRANSPLANT PATIENTS?
- CLINICAL CASE 21, ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- Plagiarism In Application Essays????
- Micro RNAs and Transplantation
- IN THE NEWS: Anabolic Steroids and FSGS
- CLINICAL CASE 20, ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- Pediatrics Grand rounds continue
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Severe Pre eclampsia
- Milk and CKD
- Transplant/Immunology Quiz 3 answers
- Rituximab and Cyclophosphamide: A Tale of Two Trea...
- CONSULT ROUNDS: HUS/TTP During Pregnancy
- IN THE NEWS: FACTOR H REPLETION in Atypical HUS
- Leflunomide and liver failure
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Gadolinium and NSF- How to image...
- Lupus Nephritis Post Transplant
- Why do Internal Medicine Residents Choose Nephrolo...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: TTP/HUS
- CONSULT ROUND: Hypercalcemia and Lithium
- CONSULT ROUND: ATHEROEMBOLIC DISEASE
- CONSULT ROUNDS:Rare and Interesting Cause of Hyper...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: URR and Kt/V
- Organ Trading Discussion
- Dietary Management of Hypertension
- Chronic Dialysis: Now or Later?
- Photopheresis therapy for renal allograft rejection?
- IN THE NEWS --->google as a diagnostician
- Live Donor Nephrectomy with vaginal extraction
- CLINICAL CASE 19, ANSWER AND SUMMARY
- IN THE NEWS- HYPOMAGNESEMIA AND PPI?
- JOB MARKET for RENAL FELLOWS
- Nephron Power: NYSN Fellows Boot camp
- NYSN Fellows Boot camp
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: captopril and stones?
- Topic Discussion: D-Lactate vs D-lactic acid
- ▼ July (48)