Is there evidence that Plasma Excahnge or pheresis works in HUS/TTP or TMA of pregnancy?
This is hard to define as TMA during pregnancy can be from many causes, APLAS syndrome, ADAMTS 13 inhibitor mediated, pre eclampsia, HELLP syndrome and Severe HTN mediated.
First and foremost, 20% of it can happen Post partum, need to rule out APLAS syndrome as well
Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura and hemolytic uremic syndrome complicating pregnancy is associated with high maternal mortality and long-term morbidity. Preterm delivery and intrauterine fetal death are frequent complications of these pregnancies. Improved survival after this disorder has been attributed to aggressive treatment with plasma transfusion or plasmapheresis.If one knows that the ADAMTS13 inhibitor is positive, TPE will be of some help. Otherwise what is the evidence for the rest. well, there is only one paper( case series that looks at this). It talks about pre and post partum TTP and its a case series of 11 patients and TPE did show some survival benefit. I have listed the reference below.
So at this point, one would treat with TPE and send of ADAMTS 13 levels and inhibitor levels and continue TPE if there is an inhibitor for sure. But do we continue TPE if this is severe HTN or pre eclampsia induced TMA, probably not?
At this point, don't think there is much evidence for TPE but that's all we have. More work needs to be done in this area.
- ► 2020 (20)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- ► 2011 (370)
- Virtual Grand Rounds in Nephrology- E nephrology
- ASN's review on the ESRD bundling
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: EFFECT OF PROTEINURIA on combina...
- Poem from Pediatric Nephrologist
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: ACE induce angioedema replaced b...
- Nephsap review: Chronic Kidney Disease : CKD patie...
- Nephsap review: Chronic Kidney Disease: Troponin T...
- Bundled Payment for ESRD
- 2010 North American Dialysis and Transplantation (...
- Hematuria and Donation?
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Do Peritoneal Dialysis patients ...
- Renal Fellow Network: Deciphering the pathologists...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: TIDAL PD
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: DEXA SCAN in TRANSPLANT PATIENTS?
- CLINICAL CASE 21, ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- Plagiarism In Application Essays????
- Micro RNAs and Transplantation
- IN THE NEWS: Anabolic Steroids and FSGS
- CLINICAL CASE 20, ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- Pediatrics Grand rounds continue
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Severe Pre eclampsia
- Milk and CKD
- Transplant/Immunology Quiz 3 answers
- Rituximab and Cyclophosphamide: A Tale of Two Trea...
- CONSULT ROUNDS: HUS/TTP During Pregnancy
- IN THE NEWS: FACTOR H REPLETION in Atypical HUS
- Leflunomide and liver failure
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Gadolinium and NSF- How to image...
- Lupus Nephritis Post Transplant
- Why do Internal Medicine Residents Choose Nephrolo...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: TTP/HUS
- CONSULT ROUND: Hypercalcemia and Lithium
- CONSULT ROUND: ATHEROEMBOLIC DISEASE
- CONSULT ROUNDS:Rare and Interesting Cause of Hyper...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: URR and Kt/V
- Organ Trading Discussion
- Dietary Management of Hypertension
- Chronic Dialysis: Now or Later?
- Photopheresis therapy for renal allograft rejection?
- IN THE NEWS --->google as a diagnostician
- Live Donor Nephrectomy with vaginal extraction
- CLINICAL CASE 19, ANSWER AND SUMMARY
- IN THE NEWS- HYPOMAGNESEMIA AND PPI?
- JOB MARKET for RENAL FELLOWS
- Nephron Power: NYSN Fellows Boot camp
- NYSN Fellows Boot camp
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: captopril and stones?
- Topic Discussion: D-Lactate vs D-lactic acid
- ▼ July (48)