Wednesday, July 21, 2010
Micro RNAs and Transplantation
What is micro RNA? These are non coding areas of the RNA that play a critical role in regulation of gene expression. They might alter the structure and lead to either expression or regression of the protein in question.
There is mice data that microRNAs play a role in immune response, adaptive immunity, inflammation, fibrosis and epithelial changes. The role of microRNA will help us understand intracellular signalling, expression of proteins, modulation of cytokines, and graft response better.
Few simple examples are: miR 155 regulates immune response to bacterial infections and viral infections and helps in the crosstalk macrophage becoming an activated macrophage. Myeloid stem cell goes to becoming a mast cell due to miR 223; and so forth.
What is more fascinating is the role of this in Transplantation. How can this be useful in transplantation? they can be measured in serum, urine and plasma. Two studies have now shown that the micro RNA pattern in the in renal allograft biopsies is different in acute rejection episodes vs controls.
The future looks good:- These might be good panel of markers for allograft status. Therapeutic use of this application in altering the microRNA enviornment might be of advantage to prevent fibrosis or rejection.
- ► 2021 (22)
- ► 2020 (32)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- ► 2011 (370)
- Virtual Grand Rounds in Nephrology- E nephrology
- ASN's review on the ESRD bundling
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: EFFECT OF PROTEINURIA on combina...
- Poem from Pediatric Nephrologist
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: ACE induce angioedema replaced b...
- Nephsap review: Chronic Kidney Disease : CKD patie...
- Nephsap review: Chronic Kidney Disease: Troponin T...
- Bundled Payment for ESRD
- 2010 North American Dialysis and Transplantation (...
- Hematuria and Donation?
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Do Peritoneal Dialysis patients ...
- Renal Fellow Network: Deciphering the pathologists...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: TIDAL PD
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: DEXA SCAN in TRANSPLANT PATIENTS?
- CLINICAL CASE 21, ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- Plagiarism In Application Essays????
- Micro RNAs and Transplantation
- IN THE NEWS: Anabolic Steroids and FSGS
- CLINICAL CASE 20, ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- Pediatrics Grand rounds continue
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Severe Pre eclampsia
- Milk and CKD
- Transplant/Immunology Quiz 3 answers
- Rituximab and Cyclophosphamide: A Tale of Two Trea...
- CONSULT ROUNDS: HUS/TTP During Pregnancy
- IN THE NEWS: FACTOR H REPLETION in Atypical HUS
- Leflunomide and liver failure
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Gadolinium and NSF- How to image...
- Lupus Nephritis Post Transplant
- Why do Internal Medicine Residents Choose Nephrolo...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: TTP/HUS
- CONSULT ROUND: Hypercalcemia and Lithium
- CONSULT ROUND: ATHEROEMBOLIC DISEASE
- CONSULT ROUNDS:Rare and Interesting Cause of Hyper...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: URR and Kt/V
- Organ Trading Discussion
- Dietary Management of Hypertension
- Chronic Dialysis: Now or Later?
- Photopheresis therapy for renal allograft rejection?
- IN THE NEWS --->google as a diagnostician
- Live Donor Nephrectomy with vaginal extraction
- CLINICAL CASE 19, ANSWER AND SUMMARY
- IN THE NEWS- HYPOMAGNESEMIA AND PPI?
- JOB MARKET for RENAL FELLOWS
- Nephron Power: NYSN Fellows Boot camp
- NYSN Fellows Boot camp
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: captopril and stones?
- Topic Discussion: D-Lactate vs D-lactic acid
- ▼ July (48)