Bile cast nephropathy is also called cholemic nephrosis. What is that and what happens?
1. As bile passes via tubules, there is pigment nephropathy.
2. Pathology findings include: extensive acute tubular injury with bile stained tubular casts.
3. Macroscopic findings will include bile stained yellowish discoloration of the kidneys in jaundiced patients which become dark green after formalin fixation.
4. Most of the damage is distal nephron related.
5. The Hall's stain confirms bilirubin presence.
6. In one series(unpublished) from Chang A et al of liver dysfunction patients, 50% of jaundiced patients had intra renal bile casts and 12% of the autopsy cases had extensive involvement of both proximal and distal tubules. 85% of patients with hepatorenal syndrome had bile casts. In the same series, bile casts were seen in 100% of patients with alcoholic cirrhosis.
7. Recent pathology discussion at ASN suggested that bile cast nephropathy is a more appropriate term for this entity.
Thursday, November 8, 2012
Topic Discussion: Cholemic Nephrosis
Posted by Kenar D Jhaveri( kidney 007) at 11:33 AM
Labels: General Nephrology, pathology
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
- ► 2022 (18)
- ► 2021 (36)
- ► 2020 (32)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ANP and AKI
- IN the news: The CANDY Study
- Uncomplicated Urinary Tract infections: New guidel...
- IN THE NEWS: SuPAR and FSGS more data revealed
- Free light chain induced Acute Kidney Injury- mech...
- Clinical Case 64: Answers and Summary
- Costs of Care education initiative? Where do nephr...
- 20 Years of Uptodate.com
- Secondary Causes of Cryoglobulinemia associated G...
- Donor evaluation and follow ups- a new ruling!
- IN THE NEWS: Nephrology NEJM showcase
- First Annual ASN Fellows in Training Bowl( FIT Bowl)
- Are Nephrologists and their patients ready for Nat...
- Topic Discussion: Cholemic Nephrosis
- eAJKD and NOD: ASN 2012
- Clinical Case 63: Answers and Summary
- ASN Podcasts
- History of hope
- ▼ November (18)
- ► 2011 (370)
- ► 2010 (461)
Post a Comment